Trackey programmimg

Joseph Land

Established Member
When I bought my boss it had a tune in it. It has a cai headers and catted X. Passed emissions.

It also has a trackey that never had the looney idle or launch control. So the tune they had replaced the trackey tune.

When I bought it no one had the tuner or knew who tuned it so I had to get Ford to flash back to factory.

The trackey still has no function.

The question is do I have to get the dealer to reprogram the trackey for it to work?

Skrapmetal

Established Member
You have to buy the track key tune then have the dealer install it. This is what all Boss owners had to do when they purchases them new.

Joseph Land

Established Member
You have to buy the track key tune then have the dealer install it. This is what all Boss owners had to do when they purchases them new.

Yea I know bc this car came with it. It starts the car but there's no functionality because the aftermarket tune overwrote the trackey tune.

Just wanted to know if the dealer would still program the trackey and if it would affect the current aftermarket tune I have ?

FKing1

Established Member
Can't have a tune with the Trackey. Either one or the other.
If Dealer flashes computer to original then must reprogram Trackey.
FYI , CAI with trackey may cause CEL unless it is compatible.

Skrapmetal

Established Member
Yea I know bc this car came with it. It starts the car but there's no functionality because the aftermarket tune overwrote the trackey tune.

Just wanted to know if the dealer would still program the trackey and if it would affect the current aftermarket tune I have ?

Yeah, it will start the car, but if the car doesn't have the track key tune on the computer it will just recognize that key the same as any other. It actually IS the same, it just has a red sticker on it.

When you buy the track key tune, they add a second tune to the computer and program it to recognize one of your keys as the track key. It doesn't have to be any special key.

If you are currently flashed back to factory, you have the blank slate there but need to have them install the track key calibration now. It costs $302 from Ford and then you pay labor costs for the flashing and programming it to recognize that key as a track key.

When I bought mine, it had been set up for the track key calibration in the past but someone had reflashed it back to factory which wiped the track key tune... I had to purchase it again and have it reprogrammed. I suspect this is the same boat you are in.

Skrapmetal

Established Member
And yeah, what FKing said. If you are running an aftermarket tune you cannot have the track key tune at the same time.

Joseph Land

Established Member
Oh well. I will just count it as a second key. The car won't run on the factory program now that it has a CAI and LT's.

Thanks guys for clearing that up for me.

Users who are viewing this thread