Track Wheels

chknhwk

What would you guys recommend for my '98 Cobra for track duty: '95 Cobra R's or '00 Cobra R's?
These will be dedicated for track duty with Toyo R-Compound tires. I like the sidewalls on the 17's due to load bearing capability and impact deflection but the cornering ability on the 18" wheels should be better due to the tighter sidewalls - of course this is assuming I try to maintain the same overal tire height.

Cobro

Banned
but the cornering ability on the 18" wheels should be better due to the tighter sidewalls ---------

You said it yourself!! If you are talking about auto cross track and not 1/4 mile

chknhwk

Large track - just did two days at Mid-Ohio and I've done Pocono and Summit Point. Autocross is ok if there's nothing else planned. :D
Right, so which should I go for? The better cornering ability (that will also be improved by the Kenny Brown or MM setup) or ride quality? I may end up making the 18"'s daily drivers if I upgrade brakes is only reason I ask...

venomous

snapping like a squirrel
Established Member
I ran two seasons SCCA Solo 1 and 2 with 17x9 cobra r wheels and Kuhmo v700 tires. I was very happy with the set-up. Stay w/ the 17's imo. 18's cost more and trying to find racing tires is harder. Take a look at steeda's ultra-light wheel for a little more. My friend runs them and is happy too.

Cobro

Banned
On the 17x9 if u go with 275-40-17 and on the 18x9 275-35-17 they will be both the same dia. tire.

For track the 18's would be the way to go and for the street they will be just a tad harder ride.

The type of struts and shocks you put on will be the factor on ride Quality on the streets

I believe the 95 cobra R runs 17x9 on 255-45-17's

Last edited:

venomous

snapping like a squirrel
Established Member
Originally posted by Cobro
On the 17x9 if u go with 275-40-17 and on the 18x9 275-35-17 they will be both the same dia. tire.

For track the 18's would be the way to go and for the street they will be just a tad harder ride.

The type of struts and shocks you put on will be the factor on ride Quality on the streets

I believe the 95 cobra R runs 17x9 on 255-45-17's

You meant 295/35/18 right???? with the 18" wheel. I'd think putting a 17" tire on a 18" wheel would kinda suck:eek:

venomous

snapping like a squirrel
Established Member
Are we talking open track racing ie. buttonwillow style track or SCCA solo 1 or 2 racing? I can point you in the right direction if you want it.

chknhwk

Both but I prefer large track - just did two days at Mid-Ohio and I've done Pocone and Slummit Point. It's SOOOO much fun - especially when I lap Porsches on my third track event! (first at Mid-Ohio)

Users who are viewing this thread