Track vid cutting 2.0 60ft on DR's WTF

03SNOWBALL

Established Member
Went to the track on Thursday my last 3 runs were 13.1 at 104 not my best but Don't know what could it be I drove there with 18psi ,lowered the psi more 2 more times about 1 psi each time.Could it be heat soak ,traction,or my launching..it was about 78 out about 66 humidity.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlHTixpxuSY"]YouTube - Kilkare Race[/ame]

I'D WIN

Established Member
Its time to work on your launching. I'd probably heat up the tires a little bit more. It looked like you were just dusting them off so to speak. It just cleans the surface and doesn't heat up the rubber compound equally nor does it optimize its ability to hook more efficiently. I always had good luck with the Nitto's.

There are LOTS of similar threads but either way...my lil' HOW TO~

1- Run 16-18 psi. Many people make the mistake of too low pressure, and what that does is make the tire compress more, which you do NOT want. The tire is a spring, when it overcompresses, it's like a spring at full squish, and the only thing it can do from there is release. When that happens, the rear end bounces back up, and the tires unload. Also check your tire pressure before EVERY pass. Your pressure will rise 2-3 psi after your first burnout of the day, and the sun on one tire will make your pressures uneven.

2- Make sure there is water down, wet both wheels, pull forward PAST the water, then do your burnout. You do NOT want to do your burnout IN the water box. Try to drive around the water and back the rear wheels into it, if the track allows. This way you don't track water up with you via the front wheels. If you pull up to stage, and there is NO water, get the attention of the track worker and make him put down water. A one wheel burnout is as good as not doing one at all.

3- Do your burnout in drive. Many people make the mistake of using a low gear. You want wheel speed, NOT engine rpms. Let it upshift all the way into 3rd, you'll probably be doing close to 90mph on your speedo. When you see tire smoke, let it spin for about 3-5 seconds more, then roll out with it.

4- DO NOT DO A DRY HOP! Your best traction after the burnout is your first use of the tire. A dry hop (i.e. a quick "test" jab) takes heat out of the tire and uses up your best chance for traction.

5- Launch the truck between 1000-1100 if you have a stock converter. Not all trucks work best at the same rpms, but MOST trucks like this launch rpm with the stock converter.

Last edited:

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
Just a quick post before i head to work. I dont think you were heating them up enough. My first time out i didnt burn out long enough so they werent sticky. My last time to the track i burned out longer and at a higher rpm. I was then able to mash the throttle and not spin at all. I think i ran 19.5 psi.

03SNOWBALL

Established Member
Thanks alot all that info helps.I think I know what I was doing wrong.1 I was driving thru the water box with my front wheels 2 I was doing my burn outs in the waterbox hense not getting any smoke I couldn't heat the up properly.My friemd that usally goes with me tells me to pull a little foward in front of the water box and do my burnout.I stop when the worker tells me then instructs me to start my burnout,.Next time I'm trying it a foot after the water box.One question though is my bed cover helping me keep traction or is it sandbagging me?

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
Was the track prepped? (VHT applied to surface) if not then your not going to see much better.
I cut my best 60 (1.75) on Nitto DR's at 26 psi.

Users who are viewing this thread