Track tires

GUY WAGNER

Established Member
I need some info on track tires.What do you run and why? The size will be 275/40/17 as i'll be running on the stock cobra rims size 17x9.Sorry,but the search will just not work for me.
Thanks, Guy

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
How long do the Nitto RIIs last? I know thats a subjective question to conditions and how hard the car is driven. Reason I ask is I considered them but the 100 treadwear rating scared me off, so I went with the Kumho MXs (220 treadwear) which I'm very happy with so far. They'll be going to Hallett this weekend. Thanks 2881

scottmartin

lets get ready to rumble!
Established Member
tires

the 220 treadware will talk to you very well. make sure your pads are fresh and the brake fluid is recently flushed. listen to your tires. they will tell you when to back down. good luck at hallett.. keep the shiny side up. after your weekend, send mark a pm and i am sure he will give your great advise and answer any questions you may have. Scott

Last edited:

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
99COBRA2881 said:
How long do the Nitto RIIs last? I know thats a subjective question to conditions and how hard the car is driven. Reason I ask is I considered them but the 100 treadwear rating scared me off, so I went with the Kumho MXs (220 treadwear) which I'm very happy with so far. They'll be going to Hallett this weekend. Thanks 2881

About 8 track days...Car,track and driver all play into how long they last

LugnutM3

Established Member
I like the Pilot Sport Cups myself, if you're looking for a competition tire. For their price and durability, they offer a lot of feedback and they really feel good.
You might also want to try out the Dunlop SP Super Sport Race before they totally dry up. They are dirt cheap and they feel more like a very sticky street tire than an out and out competition tire. They do like lots of camber, though. My car with -1.2 ate them up pretty quick.

Bingo13

Established Member
Falken RT615s.....better street/hpde tire than the MX (excellent choice for starters) and almost close to the Nitto RII (my former favorite) in dry traction with better wet performance and wear.

revintogo

all go, and some show
Established Member
toyo t1-s

I have t1-s on my cobra! Absolutely love them. I believe tread count is around 280 or so. Depending on the size you can either get w or y rated tires. I think that the 275/40zr17 are w rated. They worked great on the street but are sticky enough to use on the track. Always remember the more heat you have in them the better they stick!

fastduo

Palm Beach Mustang Club
Established Member
I am running the Kumho MX tires and it is a great tire that gives me about 8/10th of a full out competition R tire and wears very well. That is my vote! Have fun.

tenngt

Established Member
If you are going for a track only tire the Kumho V710 is proving to be a good tire for me this season. Seems like most of the guys that are passing me are on them too. Probably a dozen heat cycles in them though so they won't last you too many weekends. Before these I ran a Kumho MX, also an excellent tire but I subtracted 4 seconds a lap at Hallett and 5 seconds a lap at Heartland park with the 710's.

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
I have been using the 710 primarily as an autox tire, but I put nearly 200 track miles on them at Summit Shenandoah and there was very little perceivable wear compared to what they looked like coming into that event. So far I have that track day and 5 autox days into them, and I can still see the grooves and the dimples on all four tires.

chknhwk

revintogo said:
I have t1-s on my cobra! Absolutely love them. I believe tread count is around 280 or so. Depending on the size you can either get w or y rated tires. I think that the 275/40zr17 are w rated. They worked great on the street but are sticky enough to use on the track. Always remember the more heat you have in them the better they stick!
My girlfriend and I run the T1-S's on all four of our cars on the track ranging from a stock '98 Cobra to a well modded '98 SVT Contour. They are incredible tires. I really can't say enough about them...
Anyway, good luck and let us know how you did!

KeefCobra

Established Member
Yok's A048

I drive to HPDE's with my A048. It is about 100 miles to track. Only use for track use and drive to track. I would rate these as good tires you can drive to track, but are noisy. I have two events on these tires and they almost look new.

KeefCobra
03 Sonic Blue :beer:

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
Bingo13 said:
Falken RT615s.....better street/hpde tire than the MX (excellent choice for starters) and almost close to the Nitto RII (my former favorite) in dry traction with better wet performance and wear.

+1

These things stick like glue, if all you've used before is a street tire, you'e in for a pleasant surprise.

DTD has them for a great deal, with free shipping.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread