Track tires.... what size is easy to get cheaper?

BlackStripes

Established Member
So, I put my car on the tire wall and I am getting it fixed... I can keep my front rims (17 x 9.5) and get a stock fender OR I can get flared fenders and go 17x10 or even 18x10.5 in the front.

But in reality what's going to drive my decision is the tires, both, R-Comp and performance street tires. Seems like an obvious decision would be go for 17's but I've seen a lot of race series that get rid of almost new tires and they are 275x35x18 ....

Anyway, with money and performance in mind... what would be your decision?

thanks!

Hector

wheelhopper

Established Member
Most Mustang teams I know of run a 275 35 18. I am guessing that would be the cheapest size. So an 18x9 or 18x9.5 rim in that scenario.

blacksheep-1

Established Member
I'm swimming in 275 35x18 Continental takeoffs. Go find a local Grand Am race, they charge 10-20 bucks PER TIRE to dispose of those tires so many teams just ditch them to whomever wants them. Figure on about 3-4 hear cycles, you can swap them inside out and run them for quite a long time. also TS racing in Bushnell Florida has a product called "goat piss" that the dirt Kart racers use to soften tires a few coats of that goes a long way.

ba#97

Established Member
I'm swimming in 275 35x18 Continental takeoffs. Go find a local Grand Am race, they charge 10-20 bucks PER TIRE to dispose of those tires so many teams just ditch them to whomever wants them. Figure on about 3-4 hear cycles, you can swap them inside out and run them for quite a long time. also TS racing in Bushnell Florida has a product called "goat piss" that the dirt Kart racers use to soften tires a few coats of that goes a long way.

local grand am race as in the rolex series or are you talking something else? cuz this has me slightly interested.

blacksheep-1

Established Member
local grand am race as in the rolex series or are you talking something else? cuz this has me slightly interested.

Grand Am, Continental Series Sports Car Challenge (the "official" name.) The GS class uses them almost exclusively

Continental Tire

LilRoush

M112'd Roush x2
Established Member
I LOVE the Cont take offs. I tried a set and was very impressed with how much life was left in them.

Established Member
Any chance anyone could bring some of those to the lemons race this weekend at the autobahn C.C. in Joliet? And a raging deal on a used set of light weight 18X9 or 18X9 1/2s for a 95 Cobra would be nice too.

Thanks,

Steve

fastduo

Palm Beach Mustang Club
Established Member
I'm swimming in 275 35x18 Continental takeoffs. QUOTE]

Swimming in them? Do you want to sell me a set or two? My contact is sold out until the next race and I could use some now. Pm me. Thanks.

Rene'

SeleenSebring3.jpg

Last edited:

blacksheep-1

Established Member
sorry I just saw your post, I pm'd you my phone number BTW that looks like Sebring in your pic, I was up there with Burton racing (BMW) a few weeks ago

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread