Track times(vids), need some info on slicks!

Egreencobra

Established Member
I checked out the local dragstrip on sunday. Finally got rid of the wheelhop and found a set of tires worth launching on.
Had a great time after the suspension build.
Here are some vids
99 cobra vs new challenger - YouTube
99 cobra vs new shelby - YouTube
Best pass was a 13.76
This was the first time i have gone to the track with anything but street tires. I was launching on a set of mickey thompson et street radials. 305/45/18s. After launching on those there is no way im going back!

Next season I will buy some M/T slicks. I would like to mount them on cheap rims as i dont have the money for some lightweight drag rims. What options for sizes do i have? Any info? i really dont know much about slicks so any help is appreciated.

snake bite 03

Needs some work bud but its a good start. what are for 60foot times? the best i got with pretty much the same mods with 275nitto drs was a 1.82 60 foot 13.2 1/4@107. Keep at it and your times will get better or you could just start sprayig it lol

Jamie R.

Established Member
a 10' or smaller slick would work good for ya, but for something you could still drive around on, a 275/40/17 mickey thompson drag radial would work equally as good. Did the shelby finally pass you at the end cause he would have to sick to get outrun by a 99-01 cobra like ours.

Jamie R.
'01 Silver Cobra

Egreencobra

Established Member
Best 60 foot was a 1.99. I definitely could have pulled the launches down but I only got in 4 passes that day. My burnouts should have gone a little longer.

That gt500 tried to launch on those stock tires and just spun everywhere. I had him beat at the 1000ft but he came flying by me just before the line. That s/c was screaming on the high end! With the bottle in I would have had it in the bag.

Competition

Hood Rich
Established Member
Put some M/T ET Streets or ET Drags on it. The radials don't work well with the stick shift cars because the sidewall is too stiff to absorb the initial shock of a stick shift launch. The slick will actually be easier on your driveline components over a radial as well. Those times should be a bit lower. I went 13.00s in a stock 01 Cobra other than an X pipe, shifter, and 4.10s, on 18" BFGs...stock air filter and all though.

Egreencobra

Established Member
I bet I could have pulled the time down another 2 tenths with some more seat time. Might head out again this sunday and see what happens. Only thing is my home track boots convertibles out at 13.49 if you don't have a 6 point cage. I am debating going to a hardtop just because of this.

Users who are viewing this thread