track time blues

v8stang

Established Member
I went to the track for the 3rd time in my 2013 5.0 this past Friday. I had the car on slicks for the first time. Mods are Bama tune, Lethal H, 26x10 MT stiffwalls, 3.31's...
Best run of the night was within the first 30 min of the night and first pass on the slicks. 12.2 @ 112

Although I'm kind of happy with the 12.2, I'm confused and a bit upset how other guys are trapping 4-5 mph more with same or less mods and on street tires. Is it the Tx heat playing that big of a role? The DA was 2194 that run, with 88* heat. On a DA calculator its corrected to a 11.9 at 115.. which still seems low.

I ran the 93 hybrid tune that run. Cant say much since it trapped the same as the race tune on street tires.

This is Fridays Run and the other slips show a stock run in December and the other 2 wks ago with current mods on street tires...
Launching at 4k on slicks and shifting at 6900

By the way, that car on the left lane gave me a scare. It was a newish, 12-13 WRX STI. Not sure if he missed 3rd, or they lack top end.

83e93371-2da2-49f7-ac83-ab7e254abd9b_zpse8694a1e.jpg

Previous two trips. Right slip with current mods.

20130715_172259_zps7731e9fb.jpg

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
need to ditch the Bama tune IMO. Your car is lacking some major top end! especially on the 108 MPH Run. Heat could also be the blame. 1.6 60's though is pretty gnarly just seems like your car is chokin' up top.

v8stang

Established Member
need to ditch the Bama tune IMO. Your car is lacking some major top end! especially on the 108 MPH Run. Heat could also be the blame. 1.6 60's though is pretty gnarly just seems like your car is chokin' up top.

the 108 was when stock

Its your tune. Your car might just not be making enough power.

I agree with both of you. I'll be ordering some kool-aid as soon as I get back to the mainland in a couple of months.

You guys think I get lower that 60' with some suspension?

dead man walkin

Established Member
None of the people who commented are from Texas they have no idea how sluggish a car gets when baking in the high 90's or low triple digits all day, I'll bet the aed tune you pay for will return the same power and track times.. I have nothing against aed but I've seen dyno tune after dyno tune fall to bama tune on this very site..

DIB5.0

Established Member
Why not just data log it and make sure everything is ok. Then decide.
How are other 5.0's running at that track or in your area?

Last edited:

SCalla1384

Established Member
I went to the track for the 3rd time in my 2013 5.0 this past Friday. I had the car on slicks for the first time. Mods are Bama tune, Lethal H, 26x10 MT stiffwalls, 3.31's...
Best run of the night was within the first 30 min of the night and first pass on the slicks. 12.2 @ 112

Although I'm kind of happy with the 12.2, I'm confused and a bit upset how other guys are trapping 4-5 mph more with same or less mods and on street tires. Is it the Tx heat playing that big of a role? The DA was 2194 that run, with 88* heat. On a DA calculator its corrected to a 11.9 at 115.. which still seems low.

I ran the 93 hybrid tune that run. Cant say much since it trapped the same as the race tune on street tires.

This is Fridays Run and the other slips show a stock run in December and the other 2 wks ago with current mods on street tires...
Launching at 4k on slicks and shifting at 6900

By the way, that car on the left lane gave me a scare. It was a newish, 12-13 WRX STI. Not sure if he missed 3rd, or they lack top end.

83e93371-2da2-49f7-ac83-ab7e254abd9b_zpse8694a1e.jpg

Previous two trips. Right slip with current mods.

20130715_172259_zps7731e9fb.jpg

What's the car weigh? Probably a good idea to do some weight reduction.

My buddy in his base model 12 GT with just an MBRP catback went 12.4 @ 116mph. Literally just a catback. We had raced from a roll and it was pretty damn close. I won by no more then a car.

Tyler72

Established Member
None of the people who commented are from Texas they have no idea how sluggish a car gets when baking in the high 90's or low triple digits all day, I'll bet the aed tune you pay for will return the same power and track times.. I have nothing against aed but I've seen dyno tune after dyno tune fall to bama tune on this very site..

Because there are a ton of tuners out there that have no experience with the 5.0. A good tune is created from knowledge & experience. Bama, Lund, AED, steeda, etc have experience, but some offer warranties & tune for safeness way over power. Lund doesn't data log N/A cars so it can't be "perfect". All I know is, my AED tune runs better, & driveabilty is even a lot better compared to the bone stock tune on a bone stock car. I'm glad I sipped the cool aid first, probably saved me quite a bit of money in the long run.

debit_free_2010

Established Member

I'm in the SE and hot, humid days do kill power. One thing, you said you're shifting at 6900?

I say wind that thing out, you'll see better times and trap speeds shifting at 7400.

v8stang

Established Member
I'm in the SE and hot, humid days do kill power. One thing, you said you're shifting at 6900?

I say wind that thing out, you'll see better times and trap speeds shifting at 7400.

Doesnt power start to drop after 6500? As it is, I feel I should be shifting earlier...

ryan.garcia2733

Established Member

Show me where u have seen an AED dyno tune get beat by a bama email tune. I guarantee u can't find a thread like that cause there are none. Maybe other companies who have dyno tuned but not AED. Not saying Shaun is the best tuner or maybe he is who knos, But he knows his stuff. I've driven a bama car and compared to my AED tuned car there's no comparison.

SVTPete83

Established Member

Lolz

By the way. Its supposed to be 99 at sac raceway tomorrow for street legal fun drags. That happens to be where AED runs.

Last edited:

86merc

Established Member
The DA plays a factor for sure. In the summer here is Chicago we get heat and humidity that makes for a horrible DA. You see cars fall off pretty well when it gets like that.

Is it a stock intake or does it have a Boss intake?

Are you power shifting or just quick shifting? When you are out of the gas and clutch disengaged you are loosing momentum. The slower the shift the more momentum you loose. Loosing momentum can lower mph for sure. As well as raise ET.

Get out a few more times and try different shift points and launch RPM. Do one thing at a time and see if the car responds positively to the change. The first time out is not usually the best ET the car ever runs. You have to try different things and hone your driving skills to get the most out of the car.

And I know how you feel. I have been 11.44 but only trapped 116 with my AED tune the second time out. Most guys in that ET are around 120 mph. I had a headwind but not sure it would show 4 mph less. Maybe I am just getting the car to be more efficient with less power / more weight than the other guys. I power shift the car pretty well. So I am sure that is some of it. There are a lot of variables so it is hard to really say. But I will be back out making adjustments and seeing if I can get it to go quicker.

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member

While I don't live in Texas, it isn't so much the "heat" that kills performance, it's more so the humidity. Try triple digits with 95% humidity... I just came back from Austin & San Antonio and I felt like I was in Air Conditioning sitting outside compared to KC.

Bama is notorious for having very conservative shelf tunes so they can offer their glorious "#8 Warranty"

That said, Sip the Kool-Aid and enjoy!

:rockon:

Holovacko

Established Member
You're gaining 23-24mph on the back end. You're not going to get much more than that, regardless who tunes your car. With your current mods, 12.2 is decent number. The street tires will give you a higher MPH, but they hurt your 60' so your E.T. is higher... The slicks, hook better, lower your 60' and your E.T.... But hurt your MPH...that's why drag radials are a good choice. With a manual trans, bias-ply are the way to go... Also, the air was bad, so you can probably squeak into the 11's... All you need is some suspension work and practice.

Last edited:

throthaduece85

spinning not winning
Established Member
OP, i have the same mods verbatim. I trapped at almost 116.8 in san antonio last week when i could not get out of the hole. In houston I was trapping mid 116s two weeks prior. its your TUNE! Bama gives you a tuner at a decent price with free tunes, but you get what your pay for on the free tunes part.

Users who are viewing this thread