Track racing a sportbike

acdrew

Established Member
I have considered racing my r6 on the track. I get a little crazy on the mountain roads sometimes but I have found this sudden urge to learn to ride better. Does anyone out there have any experience out there or recommendations. I have upgraded sprockets, race filter and test pipe and slip on. As far as upgrading the only thing I am interested in getting is some track tires and spare wheels. I am a good rider but also know I will perfect my riding skills on the track.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
Good tires and practice. Although people like to put 600's down, they can do work when properly driven and are awesome on the road courses. A friend of mine used to go to Watkins glen all the time with his and he used to smoke some of the 750's and liter bikes around the track because they weren't experienced as he was. It's not drag racing where those higher HP bikes only have to worry about going straight.

Not saying his 600 would beat everything by any means and properly driven liter bikes wouldn't have any problems, but it just used to be funny watching him pass the bigger bikes from his skill.

Last edited:

crew_dawg16

Established Member
You think you're a good rider... just wait until you get on that track.

Spend money on good tires and make sure you read up on the tech requirements.

Welcome to being poor.

1KleenSVT

Established Member
Good tires, a track body, and good suit/boots/helmet for sure. Most places want the mirrors and taillights taped over. I had my coolant changed out for I think its called liquid ice which has no glycol in it. Some tracks/organizations was things safety wired like the oil plug and oil filter.

I ran my 1000cc at the local track which is not the ideal bike but it defiantly did the job. geared -2 +1 really got her going out of the slow turns. It is some of the most fun you can have trying to chase someone down. And the first time you drag your knee will be a very weird and awesome moment.

xXGadfly09Xx

Banned
I have considered racing my r6 on the track. I get a little crazy on the mountain roads sometimes but I have found this sudden urge to learn to ride better. Does anyone out there have any experience out there or recommendations. I have upgraded sprockets, race filter and test pipe and slip on. As far as upgrading the only thing I am interested in getting is some track tires and spare wheels. I am a good rider but also know I will perfect my riding skills on the track.

If you really wanna get good, buy a 250...NO SERIOUSLY, master the 250 and it will make you a MUCH better rider than just going with the 600.

oldmodman

Established Member
Spend the money on really good crash protection. FIRST!

Leathers suit, one piece. Don't waste your money on a set of pants and jacket that zip together. Spend extra for crash padding at the wrist, shoulders, hips, knees. And get a back protector. Get gloves with knuckle sliders and don't forget to get a correctly fitting helmet that cuts off the least peripheral vision possible.

Then worry about the bike. Safety wire everything that you can. get frame sliders since you will hit the track at some point. Even if it's caused by someone going down right in front of you. It's still crashing.

Take a race riding course. As often as you can afford. Riding fast on the track is nothing like riding fast on the street.

Have fun.

And one last thing. Don't ride your bike to the track. Get a trailer with a lot of spares. At least one set of spare wheels, brake pads, a chain and sprockets, gas, an air tank. And even though nobody want to think about it. A friend to pack up all your stuff if you wad yourself up and are too sore to do it yourself. Provided that you don't get a ride to the hospital.

acdrew

Established Member
I didn't take Into consideration all the extra stuff like pads chains and a race body. I have looked online and found quite the deal on some one piece leather race suits and safety equipment. It almost seems better to buy a race bike then to replace all the plastics and do everything else mentioned.

1KleenSVT

Established Member
I bought a used track body off of a forum for $200. The most expensive part for me using my streetbike was the suit, boots, and gloves. Really if your bike is in good condition and is up maintenance wise you should be fine. I would build up some extra parts over time when you can afford them but I wouldn't worry too much about spare parts.

Another thing bring lots of fuel, you will be surprised how fast you go through gas.

acdrew

Established Member
Yea I think I will do like you and wait on a good deal on race plastics.

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
I raced CCS and I am a track day coach. Ask away:banana:

Oh yea and do it! And +1 to what Crew said!
RB8_9847.jpg

Last edited:

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
I didn't take Into consideration all the extra stuff like pads chains and a race body. I have looked online and found quite the deal on some one piece leather race suits and safety equipment. It almost seems better to buy a race bike then to replace all the plastics and do everything else mentioned.

You have no idea. My race bike is probably worth about $3500-$4000 MAX right now.... it has $2500 worth of suspension on it, lol. Buying a already prepped track bike is the way to go.

When you start out, stock or track bike, get your suspension tuned, get good gear. After that, Gas/oil/tires/track time, rinse and repeat. When you reach the limit, buy suspension, most likely a rear shock first. Best tire for track days are the Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa. No tire warmers needed, last forever(compared to race tires), and are good enough to qualify for an AMA race.

mr-proper

Established Member
yes do it!! i did it with my 07 gsxr 600. best experience ever:rockon:.
after 1 trackday, i hated to ride on the street!! track was amazing ,i had so much fun,it was unbelievable! i did a trackday with NESBA and they where super helpful and knowledgeable!! make sure you get some decent tires.
i loved my pirelli diablo "3" tires. sticky even at 100f+ weather!:rockon:

Gray_Ghost

Established Member
Looks like everything is covered, but I will say this, riding gear should be "tight". You don't want it to constrict your movements, but loose gear is BAD. It will wrap in a crash and the padding won't be where it needs to be.

Coiled03

Established Member
Looks like the basics are covered. Just make sure you keep an eye out for faster guys coming up behind you. And trust me, there's ALWAYS somebody faster.

Other than that, have fun, and enjoy going broke.

I raced WERA for awhile, but got out because it was just too damn expensive.

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
Looks like the basics are covered. Just make sure you keep an eye out for faster guys coming up behind you. And trust me, there's ALWAYS somebody faster.

Other than that, have fun, and enjoy going broke.

I raced WERA for awhile, but got out because it was just too damn expensive.

That is the number one thing you are NOT supposed to do at a track day.

+1 for racing being expensive ~$600-$1,000 a weekend no matter how you slice it.

Coiled03

Established Member
That is the number one thing you are NOT supposed to do at a track day.

+1 for racing being expensive ~$600-$1,000 a weekend no matter how you slice it.

There's a difference between constantly looking backwards, and being aware of who's around you. Do you think slower riders at the races know to get out of the way by being oblivious?

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
There's a difference between constantly looking backwards, and being aware of who's around you. Do you think slower riders at the races know to get out of the way by being oblivious?

CCS/wera don't use blue flags. In CCS/wera and track days it is the responsibility of the rider who is going to over take to make the pass cleanly... It is the responsibility of the rider about to be passed to remain on race line and ride predictably. Checking behind u is "OK" for racing, although never recommended. At a track day its 100% wrong... Its one of big things that is hard to get new track riders to stop doing.

that awkward moment when you realize watkins does not have motorcycle racing... :read:

cool story though.

Wakins Glen used to have motorcycle races... A long time ago.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
that awkward moment when you realize watkins does not have motorcycle racing... :read:

cool story though.

Yeah it did. That awkward moment when you call someone out and you're wrong. It was years and years ago. They stopped doing it after they changed the track around and it became way too unsafe. It was never an ideal race track for it though. They still do "pace laps" and other dumb shit with bikes now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread