Track Inspired Build

slow022v

Established Member
Hey guys, I am new to the forums but i have searched again and again, and i can't find anything. I recently got myself an 02 GT 2v with 82k miles on it for a STEAL, the car is amazing (and slow) i think its either got 2.72 or 3.27's in it (its a 5 spd). so I'm going to be regearing it this summer, because i already have a few nice mods that i love and do a lot of highway driving, and then enlisting in the military (I'm a freshman in college right now). so i want to make the mustang a track car because it would be nice to have a fun car me and my dad can take to the track. So the reason why I'm here is because my plans are as follows: 1. Regear 2. Coilovers and suspension overhaul 3. Large wing and front splitter, canards, and rear diffuser for stability and downforce 4. procharger/turbocharger. I'm here because i need #3. i cannot find a large race-style wing for my car nor can i find a front splitter/canards (i can find a diffuser). Who here can lead me in the right direction?! Thanks for the responses in advance.
-Jordan

Fitzy_1227

Established Member
Hey guys, I am new to the forums but i have searched again and again, and i can't find anything. I recently got myself an 02 GT 2v with 82k miles on it for a STEAL, the car is amazing (and slow) i think its either got 2.72 or 3.27's in it (its a 5 spd). so I'm going to be regearing it this summer, because i already have a few nice mods that i love and do a lot of highway driving, and then enlisting in the military (I'm a freshman in college right now). so i want to make the mustang a track car because it would be nice to have a fun car me and my dad can take to the track. So the reason why I'm here is because my plans are as follows: 1. Regear 2. Coilovers and suspension overhaul 3. Large wing and front splitter, canards, and rear diffuser for stability and downforce 4. procharger/turbocharger. I'm here because i need #3. i cannot find a large race-style wing for my car nor can i find a front splitter/canards (i can find a diffuser). Who here can lead me in the right direction?! Thanks for the responses in advance.
-Jordan

http://www.maierracing.com/product-category/fiberglass/fiberglass-individual-parts/99-04-mustang/ you could go here I never personally ordered from them but what I heard on the forums is that they are pretty good. Or you could just make your own I also follow a page on Instagram it's called btmautosport and they do autocross and they have a build guid for there modzilla mustang it's pretty enjoyable to read really nice build they actually got me into the whole autocross/racing scene here is there page.
http://www.btm-autosport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2

Last edited:

slow022v

Established Member
http://www.maierracing.com/product-category/fiberglass/fiberglass-individual-parts/99-04-mustang/ you could go here I never personally ordered from them but what I heard on the forums is that they are pretty good. Or you could just make your own I also follow a page on Instagram it's called btmautosport and they do autocross and they have a build guid for there modzilla mustang it's pretty enjoyable to read really nice build they actually got me into the whole autocross/racing scene here is there page.
http://www.btm-autosport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2
Thanks man! I've decided that i think I'm going to go with the Chassis mounted battle Aero wing for an S13 nissan (google should find it for you) and a custom ARP front splitter and maybe ill have to make my own canards.. as for power wise i don't know how high i want to go, I'm thinking 325-375 wheel is a good daily number (whether it be NA or Supercharged). thats where i plan to go with it but I'm not too sure of how to get there and how much it will cost me. what do you think?

Fitzy_1227

Established Member
You can convert to e85 and that will get you a bit then some basic bolt ins and maybe cams and ported heads then you should be pretty close to your goal

Fitzy_1227

Established Member
Thanks man! I've decided that i think I'm going to go with the Chassis mounted battle Aero wing for an S13 nissan (google should find it for you) and a custom ARP front splitter and maybe ill have to make my own canards.. as for power wise i don't know how high i want to go, I'm thinking 325-375 wheel is a good daily number (whether it be NA or Supercharged). thats where i plan to go with it but I'm not too sure of how to get there and how much it will cost me. what do you think?

You can convert to e85 and that will get you a bit then some basic bolt ins and maybe cams and ported heads then you should be pretty close to your goal

slow022v

Established Member

Too bad I'm from western mass and E85 is basically non-existant around here... i would do it in a heartbeat if i could. I'm thinking cams which i am still debating on how aggressive to go, and then gears. i already have an intake and a catback.

Fitzy_1227

Established Member

Fitzy_1227

Established Member
Yeah I know I could, except it's my daily all summer :( you got some really good ideas they're just not practicle for my area and conditions.

Yea I do know what you mean it's pretty rare around me also but there is a race shop down the road from me so I could get race fuel but it's also my daily until I get a motorcycle or svt focus then I'm going all out boosted gt on it but until then mostly basic bolt one to keep it reliable.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
If you are looking for a track car to take to autocross or bigger road racing venues, I would seriously suggest looking into staying N/A. Superchargers and turbos are going to add a good amount of heat on a 20 minute session.

Look into what racing series you want to partake in, and review their rule book. But for a daily and beginner, I would imagine you will be focusing on auto cross and HPDE type events. Save your money, and skip the supercharger. If you want more power, port your heads and get a mild set of cams for a reliable daily/track car.

Honestly though, wait on the power upgrades until after you get a few track sessions under your belt. Focus on suspension, and your technique before you add power. I'll let you in on a little secret, you're going to have so much fun at the track, you won't notice any missing power while you are learning.

On a college budget, supercharger money can pay for a few track days, tires, and brakes. Trust me when I say that a good set of tires isn't going to last you much time on a track. I would look into tires with maybe less grip than the highly regarded road race tires, but will last you more than an hour or two of track time.

slow022v

Established Member
If you are looking for a track car to take to autocross or bigger road racing venues, I would seriously suggest looking into staying N/A. Superchargers and turbos are going to add a good amount of heat on a 20 minute session.

Look into what racing series you want to partake in, and review their rule book. But for a daily and beginner, I would imagine you will be focusing on auto cross and HPDE type events. Save your money, and skip the supercharger. If you want more power, port your heads and get a mild set of cams for a reliable daily/track car.

Honestly though, wait on the power upgrades until after you get a few track sessions under your belt. Focus on suspension, and your technique before you add power. I'll let you in on a little secret, you're going to have so much fun at the track, you won't notice any missing power while you are learning.

On a college budget, supercharger money can pay for a few track days, tires, and brakes. Trust me when I say that a good set of tires isn't going to last you much time on a track. I would look into tires with maybe less grip than the highly regarded road race tires, but will last you more than an hour or two of track time.

That's all very true, I think I will skip the supercharger and go on with the gears, aero and suspension. I think it will help a lot and like they say in drifting, horsepower only seems to mask bad driving habits. Not form them. Any other advice DHG?

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
That's all very true, I think I will skip the supercharger and go on with the gears, aero and suspension. I think it will help a lot and like they say in drifting, horsepower only seems to mask bad driving habits. Not form them. Any other advice DHG?

Didn't realize you wanted to do drifting events, but yes you should still try to work on technique first. There is another member on here who drifts mustangs, but just wrecked his. I can't think of his screen name at the moment, but he would be a good one to ask questions about a good starter setup.

slow022v

Established Member
Didn't realize you wanted to do drifting events, but yes you should still try to work on technique first. There is another member on here who drifts mustangs, but just wrecked his. I can't think of his screen name at the moment, but he would be a good one to ask questions about a good starter setup.

I don't plan on drifting I was just saying that that's what they say in that field "horsepower can only mask bad driving habits, not create them" but I'm just going to do simple things and aero at first to hone my skills and then I'll add power..

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I guess I misunderstood your comment. I would recommend reading up on track etiquette and proper racing technique. Read up on heel-toe shifting. If you have a good grasp on how to navigate turns before going to the track, you will have an easier time practicing and learning on the track. Best thing you could do is go to an event where you get an instructor, such as an HPDE event. That way you don't learn/practice bad habits. Start at the slowest class, and move on up as you are ready.

slow022v

Established Member
I guess I misunderstood your comment. I would recommend reading up on track etiquette and proper racing technique. Read up on heel-toe shifting. If you have a good grasp on how to navigate turns before going to the track, you will have an easier time practicing and learning on the track. Best thing you could do is go to an event where you get an instructor, such as an HPDE event. That way you don't learn/practice bad habits. Start at the slowest class, and move on up as you are ready.
Sounds like a plan, thanks for all the help man. Now to look up public track times in western mass/CT/NewHampshire area

Users who are viewing this thread