Track Day newbie, need info!

gamecock426

TwinTurbo5.0
Established Member
Hey guys, I will be attending my first track day on 4 wheels (have raced motorcycles) this October and outside of obviously a lot to learn in regards to racing I wanted to know if there are any MUST-DOs to get my car ready for the 2 day event?

The car is a base 2014 (no brembo/track pack) with just an axle back right now.

Will i I need to replace the pads/brake fluid?

I plan on upgrading a lot of the suspension after I get some more experience, but don't think it would be necessary right now as I am sure I won't be able to take full advantage of it anyways.

Let me me know what you guys think, I can't wait!

darreng505

Established Member
Fresh fluids and pads yes. swapping the brake fluid to DOT4 will decrease brake fade but if this is your first event just keep things simple and budget minded. It's a great car without much needed for first time.

Once you are on track, feel the car out. If this hobby is something you plan on doing regularly then you will discover some minor mods to improve upon your experience, but no need to just start ripping stuff out, or doing costly mods at this point.
It's more about you than the car the first few times out.

Bring tools, fluids (including water for you) and various other sundries to the track with you.

darreng505

Established Member
You need more than 50% pad material before embarking on a novice track day weekend. It's fine to keep it stock so you can understand and experience how the stock car behaves. But depending how your skills progress you will experience brake fade and want to upgrade the brake system (DOT4 fluid, higher temp pad, cooling ducts) if you embrace this recreation. If you're just going out for a one off experience and aren't sure if you will keep it up, stock is fine. It's a capable car. But if you DO experience brake fade, just remain calm and dial down the speed some. It's generally not a problem for first timers.

jg61354

Established Member
It wouldn't hurt to upgrade the brake fluid and it's not very expensive. I use the Motul 600 but there are others. My first HPDE I boiled the fluid, being a first timer I didn't do the brakes any, favors. Like I said pretty cheap and it could help avoid an issue. Have fun.

Sirl

Established Member
I would keep the street pads for the street...

And I just happen to have what you need :) (Shameless plug)

I have for sale a set of Hawk DTC 60's, and SS Brake lines from my 2007 GT.
The pads have maybe 3 sessions on them, and the front lines about the same.

I upgraded to shelby brakes and have no use for these.
They are perfect for what you need.

Looking for $200. for the set.

photo6.gif

RussellSSBrakeLines.gif

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread