Track Apps Install ?

Br9

Established Member
I have a 14' Base GT with the swapped boss 302 gauge cluster. Previous owner had ford do the install had the cluster and and gt500 steering wheel put in at the same time. Everything works as it should but he didn't have the track apps installed. What does it take to get the Track Apps and would it read boost considering i already have a blower? Thanks in advance for any responses.

Nuar

Established Member
[youtube_browser]aljrO3OLn-E[/youtube_browser]
With some modification you might be able to get the 2013 GT500 cluster to work maybe to read boost? Unless its as simple as reprogramming the cluster. No idea.

Br9

Established Member
Yeah that's my bad... I didn't think about 5.0s not needing to read boost lol.. I was just thinking about my gt500 reading boost when I typed that o well. Do I just need to go to ford and get track apps put on this cluster? Idk why the previous owner didn't have it done.

AZMcLovin

Established Member
Br9,

while your swap wasn't nearly as involved as mine, I believe it is still reltaed to what I did when I swapped in a 2014 GT500 cluster into my 2012 GT.

(check it out here http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...tall-into-a-2011-GT500-With-Track-Apps-and-LC)

For your situation, you'll either need to have Ford so some reprogramming with whats called a VCM tool, or you can do like I did and order a duplicate of the VCM tool from Malaysia :-D. It'll take like 2 weeks to get here, but will be worth the wait and I'm sure Matt, ZeroSVT, can help you out. Also, in case you change your mind, you can get a 2014 GT500 cluster and Matt also makes a black box to get that Boost Gauge in the cluster working.

Br9

Established Member
Br9,

while your swap wasn't nearly as involved as mine, I believe it is still reltaed to what I did when I swapped in a 2014 GT500 cluster into my 2012 GT.

(check it out here http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...tall-into-a-2011-GT500-With-Track-Apps-and-LC)

For your situation, you'll either need to have Ford so some reprogramming with whats called a VCM tool, or you can do like I did and order a duplicate of the VCM tool from Malaysia :-D. It'll take like 2 weeks to get here, but will be worth the wait and I'm sure Matt, ZeroSVT, can help you out. Also, in case you change your mind, you can get a 2014 GT500 cluster and Matt also makes a black box to get that Boost Gauge in the cluster working.

Thanks I'll do some checking on it... Appreciate the info

Deerslayer

Established Member
I installed the Boss Cluster with Track Apps and you will have no option to read boost.
You need a VCMII scan tool and go into MODULE PROGRAMMING, change the IPC codes (720) to the codes of either a Boss or Premium so that Track Apps show up. There is a cheap way to digitally read boost without a stand alone gauge.
Buy a wifi OBDII scanner like this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vgate-iCar2-OBDII-OBD2-ELM327-Smart-Auto-Diagnostic-Scanner-Bluetooth-WiFi-/111550070188?hash=item19f8e6fdac&item=111550070188&pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&var=&vxp=mtr
Install an app called DashCommand on your phone or ipad tablet.
Find a way to mount your phone or tablet and wahla, Dash Command has a boost gauge in their options.
Here is a pic of us testing the tablet mod we are doing in this car:
5E6C5716-D5F4-40F8-83AA-DB889C86BA3E_zpsob74ebcn.jpg

Br9

Established Member
I installed the Boss Cluster with Track Apps and you will have no option to read boost.
You need a VCMII scan tool and go into MODULE PROGRAMMING, change the IPC codes (720) to the codes of either a Boss or Premium so that Track Apps show up. There is a cheap way to digitally read boost without a stand alone gauge.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vgate-iCar2-OBDII-OBD2-ELM327-Smart-Auto-Diagnostic-Scanner-Bluetooth-WiFi-/111550070188?hash=item19f8e6fdac&item=111550070188&pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&var=&vxp=mtr
Find a way to mount your phone or tablet and wahla, Dash Command has a boost gauge in their options.

Where did you get your VCMII scan tool from?

Deerslayer

Established Member
I got mine here:
http://www.carsets.co.uk/wholesale/...tool-for-ford-with-wifi-wireless-version.html

From the day you order it, 5-6 days and it is at your door. YOU have to get this one with IDS V91 since you have a '14. I have a '13 so was able to save some $ and get the VCMII with IDSv86 and it was about $50 cheaper.
This is a good seller and everyone that I know bought theirs from this seller worked really well.

Br9

Established Member
I got mine here:
http://www.carsets.co.uk/wholesale/...tool-for-ford-with-wifi-wireless-version.html

From the day you order it, 5-6 days and it is at your door. YOU have to get this one with IDS V91 since you have a '14. I have a '13 so was able to save some $ and get the VCMII with IDSv86 and it was about $50 cheaper.
This is a good seller and everyone that I know bought theirs from this seller worked really well.

Thanks, my next question is does it mess with my tune after unlocking the track apps I guess you'd say.

Deerslayer

Established Member
That is already an outdated VCM. They are on v93 now. And the genuine ones can be flashed with the newest level software.

The v93 doesn't have anything to do with the VCM. The v for "version" refers to the IDS software. For '13 and before cars, you can use any of the IDS versions, BUT for the '14s you need to use v91 or newer. It doesnt do anything different in regards to the install he is doing. Yes, you can buy a genuine one for $1500 then buy the IDS license and so on. If you are not made of money, this is route that YOU can DO IT YOURSELF as Ford will not change the ASBUILT codes on a cluster to open up Track Apps for you. (unless you know the tech and he does it for you off the books)

BR9, to answer your question, NO it will not reflash your PCM so your tune is fine. Literally will take you all of 5min to go into IDS and change your IPC ASBUILT codes to enable Track Apps

Last edited:

mhyjek

Established Member
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vgate-iCar2...70188&pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&var=&vxp=mtr
Which PID are you getting boost from? I had an aeroforce before it was on analog 2 because I wired 2bargm sensor in can dashcommand get that and convert to boost? Because I didn't think are cars had boost sensors in them? Or is converting from something else? Thanks for the help in advance!

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
The v93 doesn't have anything to do with the VCM. The v for "version" refers to the IDS software. For '13 and before cars, you can use any of the IDS versions, BUT for the '14s you need to use v91 or newer. It doesnt do anything different in regards to the install he is doing. Yes, you can buy a genuine one for $1500 then buy the IDS license and so on. If you are not made of money, this is route that YOU can DO IT YOURSELF as Ford will not change the ASBUILT codes on a cluster to open up Track Apps for you. (unless you know the tech and he does it for you off the books)

BR9, to answer your question, NO it will not reflash your PCM so your tune is fine. Literally will take you all of 5min to go into IDS and change your IPC ASBUILT codes to enable Track Apps

I worked at the dealer when the IDS/PDS came out. I was an apprentice when we were using the WDS, so ya I know that it is the software version. Something like that is completely useless on a professional level. Yes, the tool with v91 will still "work", but there are no updates available for it unless you pay the subscription fee. They really aren't that expensive from Rotunda/SnapOn with the subscription service.

Last edited:

Deerslayer

Established Member
Which PID are you getting boost from? I had an aeroforce before it was on analog 2 because I wired 2bargm sensor in can dashcommand get that and convert to boost? Because I didn't think are cars had boost sensors in them? Or is converting from something else? Thanks for the help in advance!
Mhyjek, This car has a stand alone boost gauge as well and we were comparing them live and the Dash Command gauge is dead on with little to no lag at all.
The DashCommand settings let you pick gauges. You can also setup a screen that just has one or a couple of gauges and boost/vacuum is one of the options. I am not sure where it is reading it from the OBDII port. You also can watch your timing and of course AFR live on the Dash Command as well. We were just trying it for the first time, so didnt do a lot of customizing yet. I will say tho, I am really impressed with the accuracy and speed of these gauges being wifi and not hard wired. I also downloaded Dash Command on my phone so I can watch it on my phone at the same time as ipad just trying different things out. We were just test fitting and are yet to complete the install of sync and the tablet. I have everything we need to complete OEM sync for this car, just didnt have enough time over the holidays. Once I get everything 100% done, I will show more. The car is back at school with my son so when he is home for the summer we will finish the install completely.

Here is the FORUM for DashCommand. You can learn a LOT about it and I am sure you can find the answer about where it gets its data for boost/vacuum. Reading some of that forum, Palmer Engineering writes custom scripts to calculate values like boost and vacuum from existing OBDII values.

http://www.palmerperformance.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=immqh59fks55a81csafiu6js01&board=13.0

Last edited:

mhyjek

Established Member
Mhyjek, This car has a stand alone boost gauge as well and we were comparing them live and the Dash Command gauge is dead on with little to no lag at all.
The DashCommand settings let you pick gauges. You can also setup a screen that just has one or a couple of gauges and boost/vacuum is one of the options. I am not sure where it is reading it from the OBDII port. You also can watch your timing and of course AFR live on the Dash Command as well. We were just trying it for the first time, so didnt do a lot of customizing yet. I will say tho, I am really impressed with the accuracy and speed of these gauges being wifi and not hard wired. I also downloaded Dash Command on my phone so I can watch it on my phone at the same time as ipad just trying different things out. We were just test fitting and are yet to complete the install of sync and the tablet. I have everything we need to complete OEM sync for this car, just didnt have enough time over the holidays. Once I get everything 100% done, I will show more. The car is back at school with my son so when he is home for the summer we will finish the install completely.

Here is the FORUM for DashCommand. You can learn a LOT about it and I am sure you can find the answer about where it gets its data for boost/vacuum. Reading some of that forum, Palmer Engineering writes custom scripts to calculate values like boost and vacuum from existing OBDII values.

http://www.palmerperformance.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=immqh59fks55a81csafiu6js01&board=13.0
Good Info will check out other website as well too! One more question my car is 13 premium and I set one of the Keys as admin or whatever ford calls it; now fast forward I misplaced the key and with the second key I can't get my track apps to work is there a way around this don't really want to go to ford but it seems like my only option? Thank you again for your knowledge ordered the wifi connector and have the APP can't wait to see boost by iphone mount where I can actually read and not take my eyes off the road!

Deerslayer

Established Member
Good Info will check out other website as well too! One more question my car is 13 premium and I set one of the Keys as admin or whatever ford calls it; now fast forward I misplaced the key and with the second key I can't get my track apps to work is there a way around this don't really want to go to ford but it seems like my only option? Thank you again for your knowledge ordered the wifi connector and have the APP can't wait to see boost by iphone mount where I can actually read and not take my eyes off the road!

Only if you have a VCMII. You will need to do PATS reprogramming. (Key erase & parameter reset) You will need to have two keys that work. Once you do the key erase and reset, both keys should open Track Apps and neither will be an admin key at that time.

I was redesigning a gauge face for Dash Command last night and in doing so, it is almost like writing old code. When I was doing the Boost Vacuum Gauge, the PIDs that they were using data from along with a written calculation was MAF & RPM.

I made this gauge setup for the ipad mini. Changed all of the font and color to match the ice blue in the car and laid out the gauges and readings I want:
ipadDashCommand_zpsc727f31c.jpg

It will look pretty good with the Boss Track Apps gauging
GaugeUpgrade_zpse5fa33ce.jpg

Last edited:

mhyjek

Established Member
Only if you have a VCMII. You will need to do PATS reprogramming. (Key erase & parameter reset) You will need to have two keys that work. Once you do the key erase and reset, both keys should open Track Apps and neither will be an admin key at that time.

I was redesigning a gauge face for Dash Command last night and in doing so, it is almost like writing old code. When I was doing the Boost Vacuum Gauge, the PIDs that they were using data from along with a written calculation was MAF & RPM.

I made this gauge setup for the ipad mini. Changed all of the font and color to match the ice blue in the car and laid out the gauges and readings I want:
View attachment 33970

It will look pretty good with the Boss Track Apps gauging
View attachment 33980
That looks tight! How hard was it to mount the Ipad mini and get to work audio do you have a write up because I can see this as my next mod!

Deerslayer

Established Member
With the Musicar Northwest ipad mini holder, the back of this has four super strong magnets. They also send four matching magnets that are adhesive backed. You pop out your radio bezel panel and stick the magnets on the back side in the locations where their instructions show. Pop the bezel back in and you are done. It holds REALLY well and once you remove it, there is no evidence it was there. If you already have sync, simply download the apple/sync app and you can run it simply. This car, my son still runs his music through is phone and is using this to wifi to the OBDII port for car performance and also uses the ipad for GPS & Navigation. He can run the music through it as well, but he likes keeping his phone with the sync/music so he can go hands free and answer calls and so on. I have completed doing some really good Dash Command Skins that have Mustang logos as well as being in the ice blue color to match stock lighting in Mustangs as well as the Boss instrumentation. If anyone running Dash Command wants the .dxls I designed, let me know. I can easily customize the background or badging if you want.

Here is a link for anyone to download the customized skin set that I am using. I also have the exact same display with a change in the badge area. Instead of the Vortech/Boss badging, I have the Ford blue oval along with the running mustang grill.

http://www.dashxl.net/dashboard.php?dashboard=1058

Here is the home screen that I use now. This DashCommand setup has this for the performance screen, two engine screens, 5 trip/fuel economy screens
frontscreen_zpsf2e8cfaf.png

Here is the other one I did that has a different badge: Shift lights were set at 6k rpm
MIB_zps61ecd574.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread