TR6 Slight Misfire?

HIonPSI

Established Member
So I finally got around to putting some TR6s (at 0.32) in my car last week...

At idle the car is great and at WOT the car pulls hard. At partial throttle (say in town) around 1750/1800rpm, the car has a very slight misfire. I know the TR6s are great for some, yet present slight issues for others but this really confuses me especially since it happens in such an isolated rpm range. I tried to search, but the forum update knocked out the search feature...any suggestions?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Yes this seems to be a common problem with the tr6's. I switched over to the tr6ix and most of that misfire while cruising around town went away. I then went back to the tr6's, I bought another set of 8, opened them up a bit from .032 to .034. I still have a slight hesitation, but not nearly as bad as the first time I had the tr6's. So far I can live with the way the tr6's are acting now.

HIonPSI

Established Member
Yes this seems to be a common problem with the tr6's. I switched over to the tr6ix and most of that misfire while cruising around town went away. I then went back to the tr6's, I bought another set of 8, opened them up a bit from .032 to .034. I still have a slight hesitation, but not nearly as bad as the first time I had the tr6's. So far I can live with the way the tr6's are acting now.

So I guess thats a pretty common issue when gapping small with the tr6s huh? Weird because my buddy has his gapped at .35 I believe and has no hesitation whatsoever. I may try opening them up a bit sometime this week and see if that changes anything :beer:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
So I guess thats a pretty common issue when gapping small with the tr6s huh? Weird because my buddy has his gapped at .35 I believe and has no hesitation whatsoever. I may try opening them up a bit sometime this week and see if that changes anything :beer:

Doesn't hurt to give it a try. Let us know the outcome.

Tractionless1

Established Member
Zero hesitation with 6IX's here. Had to switch to TR6 though as IX not friendly with E85. TR6's with E85 have been just as good as IX's on E15 though, overall the engine feels MUCH smoother on E85 than gasoline.

HIonPSI

Established Member
Forgot to update...

Pulled all the plugs and regapped them at 0.35, car runs as smooth as silk now. Everything from idle to redline is better with virtually no missing/hesitation. Didn't think opening the gap 0.02-0.03 would make that big of a difference :beer:

Last edited:

TXEnginerd

Established Member
Zero hesitation with 6IX's here. Had to switch to TR6 though as IX not friendly with E85. TR6's with E85 have been just as good as IX's on E15 though, overall the engine feels MUCH smoother on E85 than gasoline.

I also switched back to TR6s for E85 recently. I have a small misfire at idle though. I have mine gapped to .028 for ~18-19psi. What do you have yours gapped to?

HIonPSI

Established Member
I had similar issues but it was misfiring at idle when I had them gapped at .025 I switched to tr7ix and it's been great

Never had misfires at idle with the tr6s, only at light throttle around town. You had them gapped at .025 on 93 pump (judging by dyno numbers in sig)?? Correct me if I'm wrong but that gap is waaaay too small isnt it?

mebetter

Established Member
The way I reason is that if you need a gap smaller than .035 to reduce blowout then it's probably just time to go to a step colder plug. So I switched to the tr7ix and for me it was the best of both worlds. Ie no spark blow out and perfect idle and driveability.

Users who are viewing this thread