Tr3650 Second Gear Problems

DJAMiller

Established Member
Hey guys so my Mach has about 35k miles and has been been having some problems with second gear lately. Second gear is often more difficult to get into and it nibbles a little on the way in sometimes. It happens more frequently when the car is cold, after driving for 20 minutes or so it shifts like butter. I've done some searching and I know this is a common problem, I've read a few different responses on how to resolve the problem, ive read some people saying go with gm synchro mesh, synthetic ATF, gear oil, and some people saying mix Lucas transfix with ATF. I also had one person tell me not to use gear oil because the 3650 has composite synchros that would get eaten by the gear oil. What seems to be the consensus here? I really don't have the money or the time to put a new synchro in right now (right now it's my dd) and I really don't want to mess up my transmission worse by driving it as it is. If I do end up replacing the synchro how can I prevent this in the future and how difficult is it to do by yourself? I've never rebuilt a tranny like this but I'm a marine mechanic (mainly work on diesels and saildrives) so I'm pretty mechanically inclined and I have whatever tools I would need.

SHAUN351

Established Member
Did you check your fluid level? I had a similar with my third gear and merely replaced the fluid with OEM trans. fluid. Problem solved.

Users who are viewing this thread