TR-3650 Not getting in Gear (COLD)

01BlkSn8k

Established Member
I rarely post a thread at SVTP because the search function works like a charm, however, I have been searching for an issue I have. Car is a 2001 Mustang Cobra, MMS Clutch Kit, Centerforce Stage 2 Clutch. Everything else is bone stock.

When cold, the TR-3650 does not go into any gears 1-5, nor Reverse. I can get into 1st gear if I roll just a bit but I have to jam the shifter to get in. After 20 min, the car warms up, I am then able to get into gears 1-5 with no issue. The same thing happens when the car sits at Work. 8 hours later, I get back in to go home from work, same issue, I can not get into any gear 1-5, nor Reverse.

I have read a lot of post on SVTP saying to just depress the clutch, center the shifter, and go back into gear. This isn't the case, it won't go into any gear at all when i do that, sitting in traffic and not getting in gear really sucks. I changed the fluid to Pennzoil Syncromesh, put only the 3.2qt like everyone says to do on STVP.

Then, I called MMS thinking I didn't install the clutch kit correctly. I reinstalled everything again according to the lovely instructions they provided, but the issue persist.

Has anyone had any issue with TR-3650 not getting into Gears 1-5, and Reverse when cold, but after 20 min of driving it then is able to get into gear?

Thanks for your help guys!!!

01yellercobra

Established Member
Normally my first call is the fluid. I have synchromesh in my trans and I haven't had any issues when cold. I'm assuming you're using a stock quadrant. If you are next time you do a cold start do the adjustment where you lift the pedal with your foot then push it back down.

01BlkSn8k

Established Member
**RESOLVED**

Hey Guys, I thought I'd do my due diligence and share the results. I finally caved in and took the car to the Ford Dealer. The Mechanic inspected the Clutch mechanism and found the Clutch to be defective. He said I was experiencing Clutch Drag, thus causing the gear lock out in all gears. Eventually, the same day I did this initial post, it couldn't get in gear after warming up what so ever, this is why I resorted to the dealer. All said in done, I went with the OEM clutch priced at $460. I was able to get in like butter in all gears this morning at 6am. The clutch feels 10x softer then the Centerforce. Centerforce Clutch was 1 yr old. Solution was installing OEM Clutch.

@slo984now,
Thanks for your response.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'm going to assume you have the stock clutch quadrant then. A lot of time the stock quadrant can't handle the load an aftermarket clutch puts on it. So it was probably losing it's adjustment and/or flexing. Chances are you just needed an aftermarket quadrant with a firewall adjuster. But glad your issue is fixed now.

01BlkSn8k

Established Member
I'm going to assume you have the stock clutch quadrant then. A lot of time the stock quadrant can't handle the load an aftermarket clutch puts on it. So it was probably losing it's adjustment and/or flexing. Chances are you just needed an aftermarket quadrant with a firewall adjuster. But glad your issue is fixed now.

When this initially happened, I bought the Max Motorsport Clutch Kit and did away with the Stock Quad. After installing MMS, Quadrant, Firewall Adjuster and Ford OEM Cable the problem went away for 1 month, thereafter, it came back. It was happening with both the Stock Quad and Max Motorsport aftermarket Quadrant.

Thanks again bud.

Users who are viewing this thread