TR 3650 in 2003 cobra ?

Evil Bender

Rabid Roadie
Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
After a 6 year wait I have decided to pull the cover of my terminator and rebuild it. I swapped the T56 off for a Lentec Street/Strip terminator thinking I might want an auto but I think I am going back to a standard. I was never happy with the 6 speeds gearing and found that i rarely if ever used 6th gear and 5th seamed not quite tall enough for daily driving. So i though maybe a built 5 speed might make me happier. car will end up with a 9.75:1 built Teksid with a 2.3 Whipple.
Has any one done this ? any input would helpful.

Thanks Steve

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
After a 6 year wait I have decided to pull the cover of my terminator and rebuild it. I swapped the T56 off for a Lentec Street/Strip terminator thinking I might want an auto but I think I am going back to a standard. I was never happy with the 6 speeds gearing and found that i rarely if ever used 6th gear and 5th seamed not quite tall enough for daily driving. So i though maybe a built 5 speed might make me happier. car will end up with a 9.75:1 built Teksid with a 2.3 Whipple.
Has any one done this ? any input would helpful.

Thanks Steve

I haven't but had a TKO500 with 31 spline input shafts which I believe has 3650 ratios. My experience was first gear was too short and useless and 5th is the same as 6th in the T56 but a huge gap between 4th and 5th. Personally I'm way happier with my T56 Magnum vs my TKO500. I have a very similar build as you engine wise.

Edit: The 3.38 first will kill you on the street unless its strip only not sure you're purpose. Check out the gear ratio's on ModernDriveline. What rear end gear you running?

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Thanks For the input, I thought 1st looked high ,and I've got 3.90s in the rear

Yeah with 3.73 and a 3.27 1st with an Eaton it sucked. Could only imagine with my setup now (9.5,Teksid,Cams,VMP). With DR on the street would just blast the tires off and hit the limiter before you moved, maybe with slicks. The 6 speed has a longer 1st plus the 5th gear between 4-6th. There was a lot of times around 40-50 mph you're high in 4th (4k) but low in 5th (<2k) drover me nuts. Didn't realize how much I hated it until I got a Magnum with essentially T56 ratios.

Last edited:

Evil Bender

Rabid Roadie
Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
3rd looks very close in the Tr3650 vs th t56 (1.30 vs 1.32 ) but fifth is a bigger gap ( .68 vs .80 ) 1st is big (3.38 vs 2.66 ) maybe I should just call a custom ratio, its just money ......

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
3rd looks very close in the Tr3650 vs th t56 (1.30 vs 1.32 ) but fifth is a bigger gap ( .68 vs .80 ) 1st is big (3.38 vs 2.66 ) maybe I should just call a custom ratio, its just money ......

Sounds like you want the the road race version of the Magnum 6th gear with the rest T56 ratio.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I had a 3650 in my 01 originally. Eventually swapped to a T-56 because of a killer deal. I'll never go back to a 5 speed. The gear spacing in the T-56 is just much nicer to deal with. I keep telling the wife her 06 is going to get a 6 speed eventually because of it.

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
Yes, the gap between 4th and 5th does suck at times. Too high in 4th, too low in 5th. 1st gear is a little aggressive for a high hp car too. TKO600 has a lower numerical 1st gear so that might suit you better, but still has the same 5th gear. You can order one with the .82 5th gear instead. Just dont take it on any long road trips lol.

I really wish there was a 7-speed variant somewhere with 5 forward gears and double OD. Id like a 1st gear a little steeper than the T56's 1st.

Users who are viewing this thread