TQ converters (high stall)

c0dy

I...Need...Speed
Established Member
soo... what is the difference between a high stall and a normal? is there any mpg benefit, power benefit? i realize those are on opposite ends of the spectrum, unless its due to efficiency. any input would be greatly appreciated, i've searched the web and cant really find an explination. Thx again

Cody

Rearpl8tsinsite

QQQQ
Established Member
You can buy a stall that varies by RPM. I for instance can go with a 2800 or a 3200. As for what defines high stall I would think above 3000.

Your mpg is going to drop a bunch the higher stall you go with. This is because the car will have a clutch slipping effect before it engages at say 3200 rpm. As for power I don't fully understand whether it will increase hp or not. I believe the main advantage of a stall is so you can launch at peak hp/tq.

My car right now hits about 1600 rpm while power braking it. My peak tq hits at close to 3000 rpm so a 2800 stall would be good for me. An ls-1 might want a higher stall (3000+) because its peak tq doesn't hit untill 3200-3400 rpm.

If I were to put a stall in my car it would probably deduct between .2-.5 depending on traction in the 1/4 mile.

Hope this helps.

Purerock105

Established Member
Installing a high stall converter over a stock can offer
signifigant gains especially when factered in with other
like mods, gears, better rubber, etc.

The stock stall for a C5 is around 1800. I went with a
Yank SY3500 and taller gears 3.73's. Driving the car
is a nite and day difference.

The choices are what suits your needs to how much
strip vs. street driving you desire.

As far as better gas mileage? An aftermarket TC won't
lower your mpg directly, but if you switch out to
taller gears, then expect to give up some.

Yank converters has a pretty good page for domestic's.

Yank Torque Converters

Users who are viewing this thread