TPMS Training

JSkwarek

BUY, MOD, SELL, REPEAT!
Established Member
OK, had a set of rims on my '08 GT500, own the Ford TPMS training tool and had no problems training sensors to the GT500. Have since put those rims on the '11 GT and can not get the car to learn. Goes into program mode just fine but will not program. Did some research and seems the bands should work even though '11 come with shrader sensors. Any ideas? For shits and giggles I took the car to Discount and they couldn't get it to program either, they could see the sensors in the wheels but couldn't get it to program.

For what it's worth, I don't do a lot of long distance driving, the TPMS light is never on but I did about an hours worth of non-stop driving this past weekend and got a TPMS light finally. Unfortunately it went away before I got back to the house to try to program with the light on.

Jason

JSkwarek

BUY, MOD, SELL, REPEAT!
Established Member
You and me both. I hadn't really given it much thought as the light didn't come on like it used to with my Shelby, but when the light came back on over the weekend I thought I'd look into it more.

There's so much shit for data out there it's hard to decipher the truth. Some are saying you have to drive it ridiculous amounts of time (45 minutes) to "wake up" the sensors before you can train them, others are spouting things like the '11 self learns.... Was hoping I could get something here from someone that's actually gone through the process with an '11.

Jason

ViciousJay

Established Member
You and me both. I hadn't really given it much thought as the light didn't come on like it used to with my Shelby, but when the light came back on over the weekend I thought I'd look into it more.

There's so much shit for data out there it's hard to decipher the truth. Some are saying you have to drive it ridiculous amounts of time (45 minutes) to "wake up" the sensors before you can train them, others are spouting things like the '11 self learns.... Was hoping I could get something here from someone that's actually gone through the process with an '11.

Jason

why not just reuse the factory ones?

JSkwarek

BUY, MOD, SELL, REPEAT!
Established Member
I put the stock Brembos on our '10 GT, if I don't get it figured out with the bands then I'll put shrader sensors in the next time I have to get tires.

z28th1s

The 5.0 is Back!!!
Established Member
Ford changed the TPMS's in 2010. The sensors are now mounted to the end of the valve stem, whereas the 2009 and earlier ones were attached to the inside of the rim.

The training tool and the sensors from your 2008 will not work on a 2010 and newer car.

I found this out when I put a set of 2009 GT/CS wheels on my wife's 2011 Mustang V6 and had the same problem.

I called American Muscle (where I got the training tool) and they told me what the problem was.

So basically I had three choices,

1. Buy a new set of sensors and training tool.
2. Just reset the TPMS light when we get in the car.
3. Take the sensors out of the factory 17" wheels and install them in the new wheels.

Right now we went with option #2. We use the stock 17" wheels during the winter months so I didn't want to take the sensors out of them out.

Last edited:

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
^ correct.

07-09 and 10+ sensors are different and the frequency they are read with are different, so the systems are not interchangeable.

JSkwarek

BUY, MOD, SELL, REPEAT!
Established Member
Thanks for the confirmation, I looked on AM's site and it looks like they too have updated their information. When I looked a few weeks ago they still had the bands listed as through 2011 compatible, now they've got the years updated.

Guess I'll order as set and throw them in the rear shrader location when I put new tires on.

Jason

z28th1s

The 5.0 is Back!!!
Established Member
Thanks for the confirmation, I looked on AM's site and it looks like they too have updated their information. When I looked a few weeks ago they still had the bands listed as through 2011 compatible, now they've got the years updated.

Guess I'll order as set and throw them in the rear shrader location when I put new tires on.

Jason

No problem :beer:

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
I'm with ya there, except if you don't run them it's annoying to have a light come on every time you start the car telling you your tires are f'ed up lol

Users who are viewing this thread