TPMS sensors won't sync!

aksvt

Established Member
I knew I should have purchased fomoco sensors for my Alcoas, but at the time I tried to order the kit from Tousley Ford they were out of stock. I ordered the AM sensors that many others have been able to sync with there wheel swaps but mine seem to be dead. I have tried everything, let all the air out then refill (multiple times) drive for miles, make sure I am away from other cars with sensors and these will not wake up and sync. I even tried to sync my oem wheels when they were 20 ft away in the shop to see if the tool was working and within a few seconds they sync fine so it's not the tool. AM said they would send another set and even refund the mount and balance but what a pita. I cringe whenever I take the Alcoas to a tire shop but so far have been lucky without damage. What if the replacement sensor don't sync either, really be upset then.
Does anyone have any suggestions getting these things to wake up other than driving and letting the air out and refilling?

Snoopy49

Established Member
From the 2014 Factory Service Manual

NOTE: The TPMS sensors do not transmit when the vehicle is stationary. If the vehicle has been stationary for more than 30 minutes, it will be necessary to wake up the sensors so they will transmit the latest tire pressure information to the SJB .

If the vehicle has been stationary for more than 30 minutes, carry out the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Sensor Activation procedure in this section.

Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Sensor Activation

Special Tool(s) Activation Tool, Tire Pressure Monitor 204-363, or Customer Activation Tool, Tire Pressure Monitor

NOTE: The tire pressure sensors will go into a "sleep mode" when a vehicle is stationary to conserve battery power. The sensors do not transmit information while in sleep mode. It will be necessary to wake them up so they will transmit the latest tire pressure information.

1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.

2. Position the Tire Pressure Monitor Activation Tool against the LF tire sidewall at the tire valve stem.

3. NOTE: The Tire Pressure Monitor Activation Tool will provide feedback in the form of a flashing green light and a beep sound for each successful response from a tire pressure sensor. This feedback may not always be present, do not rely on it as a confirmation that the module heard a particular sensor.

NOTE: If a sensor does not respond to the Tire Pressure Monitor Activation Tool, move the vehicle to rotate the wheels at least one-fourth of a turn and attempt to activate the same sensor again. If the sensor still does not respond, attempt to activate the same sensor again using the customer activation tool (if available). If the sensor still fails to train, attempt to train the sensor with the vehicle doors open.

Press the test button on the Tire Pressure Monitor Activation Tool to activate the sensor. Activate the sensor at least 2 times.

4. Repeat Steps 2 and 3 for the remaining tires.

5. If the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) indicator remains illuminated after adjusting and activating each sensor, refer to the Symptom Chart in Diagnosis and Testing in this section.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread