TPMS questions for 13's

96lasersnake

storm trooper'd cobra
Established Member
Just recently picked up some 13 SVTPP wheels/tires/sensors and I am getting ready to put them on my 13 boss. Was reading through the market thread last night and saw a thread for some sensors that said not for 13gt500

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...ro-tek-tire-pressure-monitor-sensor-tpms.html

Will the factory sensors in the 13 Gt500 wheels work on my boss? Cant really find much on different part numbers for the base mustangs and the shelby. Thanks

jaywoo

Soooo Boss
Established Member
Great pickup, I want a set of those!! Do you have the programming tool? If so, you will find out soon enough if they work. Once you program them (if it take), let some air out of one of the tires and see if you et a message. I'm curious to know if they work! I love those wheels.

5 DOT 0

Established Member
I have not read anything that leads me to believe there is anything different on the 2013 GT500. Regardless those are not OEM sensors and I wouldn't buy them. I'd wait until you get the wheels installed and if they don't work then purchase a set of these. They are plug and play and do not need to be programmed. BTW offer $45 and you owe me a beer. ;-)

Ford Lincoln Mercury Tire Sensors Set of 4 TPMS | eBay

jaywoo

Soooo Boss
Established Member
They do have to be calibrated/programmed to the car. If you don't, you'll get a light when the computer doesn't see the original four sensors. that is, unless the Boss is different from a normal GT.

5 DOT 0

Established Member
They do have to be calibrated/programmed to the car. If you don't, you'll get a light when the computer doesn't see the original four sensors. that is, unless the Boss is different from a normal GT.
No they don't. I've swapped back and fourth several times and have never thrown a code. They have never been programmed either. The older style did need to be programmed the newer ones don't.

jaywoo

Soooo Boss
Established Member
I haven't swapped them on my Boss, but did on my 2011 between my car and a friends GT/CS. Both had to be relearned.

F.D.Sako

Established Member
I've purchased the ones 5 Dot 0 posted for my winter wheels, and have not had the need to get them re-programmed. it has been around 200mi since i've installed the winter wheels and everything seems to be working well without any TPMS lights.

i also had the chance to purchase the aftermarket metal ones, but didn't since they require a programmer. the link you (OP) have posted requires the programmer, which i believe was around $45.

Do your wheels have the rubber black TPMS, similar to 5 Dot 0's link? if so, there's a good chance you may not need to get them re-program. if for some reason you need it, call around dealers; dealer near me said they'd do it for free, since it only takes a couple of minutes.

jaywoo

Soooo Boss
Established Member
Mine came from American Muscle also. That explains why they needed to be programmed on my car then the other GT/CS that I sold them to when I traded for the Boss. Programming was super easy though.

Snoopy49

Established Member
The 2013 GT500 TPMS sensors are different, they are rated at 200 MPH, the standard TPMS used on all the other 2010-2013 Mustangs are limited to 155 MPH. You won't have a problem with 2013 GT500 TPMS senors on your BOSS, you may have to use the reset tool to get your car to recognize the individual sensors.

Here is the installation guide on the 2012 sensors, it explains the learning procedure.

2010-2013 MUSTANG TPMS SENSORS AND ACTIVATION TOOL KIT

5 DOT 0

Established Member
The 2013 GT500 TPMS sensors are different, they are rated at 200 MPH, the standard TPMS used on all the other 2010-2013 Mustangs are limited to 155 MPH. You won't have a problem with 2013 GT500 TPMS senors on your BOSS, you may have to use the reset tool to get your car to recognize the individual sensors.

Here is the installation guide on the 2012 sensors, it explains the learning procedure.

Are the sensors different or is it the valve stems? The link you posted states the valve stems are rated to 155 max. I've used two sets of stock sensors on two different sets of wheels and I had metal valve stems installed that work with the stock sensors.

Snoopy49

Established Member
I was told they are completely different, the 2013 GT500 sensor is metal and 2010-2013 sensor is plastic and rubber. I was told that Ford changed the sensors in the 2013 GT500 do to breakage at speed higher than 155 MPH when using the normal Mustang sensor.

96lasersnake

storm trooper'd cobra
Established Member

That answers my question, guess the gt500's have a diff part number now due to that. Had 12 SVTPP wheels on my 12 boss and they were fine. I will bolt these on and have them synced up. Thanks for all the help guys!

Users who are viewing this thread