TPMS? Can you tell if it's there by looking?

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
Here's a dumb question. Can you tell by looking at the valve stem without taking the tire off if there are TPMS's on it or not?

Looking at a set a guy bought used & he's not sure if the TPMS is installed and we're trying to figure out without having to brake the tire bead seal, or mount them on the other car & see if we get a dash light, lol. Thnx

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
I don't think you can tell just by looking at the valve stem. Its either attached by a band going around the wheel or by a second valve on the inside of the wheel. My true forged wheels have the later of the two.

The wheels don't have to be physically mounted for the car to pick up the sensors. They can just be beside it.

Last edited:

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I think if you have the TPMS integrated with the valve stem, you could take out the schrader valve and probe the inside of the valve stem with a small wire. If there's no restriction, there is no TPMS, although you could still have one with a band. If there is a restriction, it's likely the TPMS.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
I think if you have the TPMS integrated with the valve stem, you could take out the schrader valve and probe the inside of the valve stem with a small wire. If there's no restriction, there is no TPMS, although you could still have one with a band. If there is a restriction, it's likely the TPMS.

yeah, didn't think of that. What kind of wheels are they Dave?

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
Oh yea, these are factory stock Mustang wheels, GT premiums off a 2011 or '12, the black with machined face ones, so it'd be the factory valve stem TPMS from Ford I'm trying to verify.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
Do you know what car they came off of? Could run the vin to see if they came with them. Also, do you have the TPMS programmer remote?

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
I have the programmer tool somewhere. You could run the test to see if they pick up

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
I have the programmer tool somewhere. You could run the test to see if they pick up

that's what I was going to suggest. or he could run it by Dougs and just break one of them down and check.

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
Yea I have a programmer. How can I use that to check on the wheels?

I got one & never had to use it, everytime I've swapped wheels my car has learned the new ones itself and not been stubborn, lucky.

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
I had him shoot me a pic of the stem & it's gold/brass with a rubber stem. I feel like the Ford TPMS metal stem is silver ... I'll try to find a pic, it rained so I don't have my car here, duh.

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
No, I'm wrong looks like the Ford TPMS is brass colored metal, not silver, so haven't ruled it out yet.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
It is easy to tell if a car has the valve stem type TPMS in place, look for the hex head, this type bolt together................

0042_zps93520b55.jpg

Also shown in the link below, look for the hex head, they bolt together...........

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts...or+2011+2012&gclid=CPOCusiBmrsCFUtp7AodPx0ApQ

If you are asking about the earlier band-type, those use a regular valve stem that pulls through the valve stem hole in the wheel and do not look anything like the TPMS stem shown above.

R

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread