Toyota Tacoma

Mach&Roll

Established Member
Ok guys just curious how the 05 and up tacomas tow. I have a chevy silverado and might sale it for a tacoma. Will it tow my cobra ok? It will not have to tow often just need it to every once in awhile.

Dusten

Established Member
It says they are rated to tow 6500, so in theory you can. Having driven my friends 09 quite a bit, I wouldnt tow a car with it any farther than across town.

Last

Established Member
I put 2 bikes in the back for track days, and that is about the extent of my towing experience with my Tacoma...I would say that you would probably have to be hard on the gas to tow a car. How far are you towing?

Mach&Roll

Established Member
Well I could be towing as far as four hundred miles. Just depends where the car shows are. Mostly I think it would be less than one hundred miles. Might just have to keep my half ton I got now huh?

stangin'

Established Member
these tacomas are great trucks, but imo, the one area where it lacks is the towing department. i have a '02 tacoma and it struggled to tow a '01 corvette 50 miles using one of those u-haul auto transport. we also use it often to tow a 19' boat, but it's close distance maybe 4-5 miles.

if it's a dedicated towing vehicle, towing up to 400+ miles, i would stick with the silverado. if gas mileage isn't a major concern and you're a toyota fan, check out the '07+ tundras.

Last

Established Member
Well I could be towing as far as four hundred miles. Just depends where the car shows are. Mostly I think it would be less than one hundred miles. Might just have to keep my half ton I got now huh?

They say stock will get you 6500lbs of towing. you can get a tow package. the tow package comes with : Class 4 Hitch, Transmission and Supplemental Oil Coolers (Transmission Cooler not available on Manual Transmission models), 130A Alternator, Heavy-Duty Battery, 7-Pin Connector with Converter

here is the Tacoma World Towing Bible! The Tacoma Towing Bible - Tacoma World Forums

I mean Tacomas only have a V-6 with 266 tq and 233 hp.

vettez062002

baller on a budget
Established Member
my father has a 07 tacoma 4 door and its the best truck he has had. already just passed 100K. hes on his second set of tires, 3rd brakes and a bunch of brake lights for some reason. the only semi big thing was all his U joints went out last week cauing a big vibration and that was a $700 fix but other then thats, its been awsome. he regularly tows our 14ft open trailer with 1-3 heavy ass air conditioners for work. I tow our wave runners on a double ski trailer with it to the beaches. it does fine. I have towed a car and trailer.. it wasnt the best but it did it. If I was buying a truck for anything over 50% towing, Id say look elsewhere. maybe even a tundra or nissan titan. but I love my chevy Duramax.. 10,000lbs w/o bitching at all. love it

sixt5

Established Member
even if it can pull it, which no doubt in my mindd that it can, thats just half the battle. worrying about bumper weight and most importantly braking.

a work truck at my company (cat eye silverado 4.3 v6 4x4 rclb) pulls a 20ft ish goosneck with a bobcat and multiple accesories. needless to say it pulls it even though its WAY over tow limit but the truck is BEAT.

Users who are viewing this thread