Toyo RA1 305/35-18 Shaved for RR/Auto-X

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
I bought four used (their current condition) tires from a race team. Three of the tires had two laps on them and the other had five laps. When I went to mount them the tire machine I was using (first time I had used it) changed direction and didn't catch it quick enough. The arm put a hole in the sidewall of the first tire I was mounting!:mad: So that left me with 2 tires that had 2 laps on them and one tire with five laps on it. Since that time I started working for Rehagen Racing when I have free time and have begun running the Koni Challenge Hoosiers instead since I get a great deal on the used ones:) (Thanks Dean!)

I got them cheap enough so I will sell them just as cheap. I'll let them go for $150 each shipped or $100 each if I don't have to ship them.

You can still see the "scallops" from where they were shaved but you have to look really closely to see them in the tire with 5 laps. They seriously have very little wear in them. You could buy 1 new one from the tire rack and have them shave it to make a complete set for some road race or autocross fun for much cheaper than it would normally cost you:thumbsup:

The one pic I have
IMG_0360.jpg

pitstain

I love appetizer samplers
Established Member
Just to drop a note, Great seller guys, I just got a set of tires from Tom, and they are PERFECT !

:)

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
I can look into what it will cost to get a 4th one. I am guessing I will have to get it new though so it definitely won't be as cheap as these other 3.

pitstain

Established Member
Tom,

Correct my if I am being ignorant in feeling this way, but 3 used (mainly age not track time) plus 1 new would make me nervous for some reason.

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
I will verify with Dean (race team manager that I bought them from) but it shouldn't be a problem. The one thing I would suggest is put the new one on the left front as it will last a very little longer than the others and the left front typically takes most of the abuse. Of course that doesn't mean much since you would most likely be rotating them to get even wear anyways. Tires that have been heat cycled a couple times are usually better actually. The main thing that kills these tires is if they get cold, which is way I made sure to get them out of my garage and into the house before it got really cold out. I believe Toyo put out a bulletin saying to keep them above 45 or 50 degrees.

The only reason I haven't bought a 4th tire and ran them myself is because I get a smokin' deal on used Hoosier Koni Challenge tires now that I work for the race team.

pitstain

Established Member
Yeah I was trying to get a set of grand-am hoosiers from Dean, but he was unable to return my emails, I have yet to hear how those GAC tires work on a Lightning.

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Yeah I was trying to get a set of grand-am hoosiers from Dean, but he was unable to return my emails, I have yet to hear how those GAC tires work on a Lightning.

Ian,
If you still want GAC tires I will kick Dean in the ass for you. He sometimes gets really busy and forgets things. I know a set of used GAC tires will cost less than getting these Toyos from me, however I don't know if you will get the same amount of track time out of them. Another thing to consider is IIRC you are still fairly green when it comes to track driving. Running full slicks will mask driver mistakes which IMO makes it more difficult to learn to be a better driver. Will you go faster on slicks? No doubt. Will you be as fast as you would be if you learned car control first? I doubt it. Street tires will give you a lot more audio feedback. If the slicks are making noise, you are probably in trouble.

I know the first track event I ran the GAC tires I couldn't believe how much different it was. I had to completely relearn my lines on a track I had driven many times before. By the end I had picked up about 4 seconds a lap over Kumho MXs:eek: The tires will handle the weight and power of the truck but you will need to rotate them frequently to make them last. I corded a set in one day at Grattan raceway. That will also be dependant on the track surface as well though. You may also want to look at running more camber with them since I always corded the outside edge. They will fit stock wheels nicely though:-D

I can't really compare them to the Toyo's since I haven't ran the Toyos before but I know Cliff (SVTKY) has been running them the past few years and has liked them. IIRC he said they wear alright and give plenty of grip. You may want to contact him about how long they last and how much he rotates them. It would be interesting to see how they compare since the Toyo is wider.

I don't know how much track time you have but I know that going to R-compound tires (even the Toyo's) is something you should hold off on until you have a bit of experience under your belt FWIW.

pitstain

Established Member
I've only hit the Glen twice, but I wanted to try out some slicks for the last 2 sessions of each day, hell I managed to loop her entering the damm chicaine....LOL

Ya know what Tom, I'll hit you up in the spring for a set of those GAC tires, unless Dean really wants to offload a set cheap due to the current recession.

I would be happy to get one weekend out of a set (8x 30 minute sessions)

Thanks again,

Ian

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
I've only hit the Glen twice, but I wanted to try out some slicks for the last 2 sessions of each day, hell I managed to loop her entering the damm chicaine....LOL

Ya know what Tom, I'll hit you up in the spring for a set of those GAC tires, unless Dean really wants to offload a set cheap due to the current recession.

I would be happy to get one weekend out of a set (8x 30 minute sessions)

Thanks again,

Ian

Sounds good man, let me know whenever you want. I know they still have quite a few at the shop. I don't know if all the good ones are already gone or not though. I believe a decent set will go for $300 and should last you a weekend.

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
These have been moved back out to the garage since the weather is now warm enough. Any body interested yet?

Morgan

Established Member
Did you ever sell the Brembo kit?

What route did you take for increasing brake power?

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Yeah, brembo kit is gone. I haven't done anything yet, the truck works ok with what it has for 30 minute sessions. The rear cooling ducts really improved things dramatically though. Also switching to stickier tires seemed to help since I have more grip and therefore don't have to be on the brakes as long.

With that said though, I have been working on my own BBK using 6 piston Alcon/Baer calipers. I've ran into the snag of not being able to find street pads for that particular caliper though so I haven't put it on yet. I'm actually not sure what I am going to do yet, money is tight so I've been holding off on doing anything for awhile at least.

OH-MAN

Established Member
I too have used a set of the Koni challange used slicks from Dean.
I am glad as hell they mask a lot of my driving mistakes.
They held up well and were well worth the money.

I will be needing another set for the fall when the weather cools down and they start running here again.

Are the R1As dot legal?

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
I too have used a set of the Koni challange used slicks from Dean.
I am glad as hell they mask a lot of my driving mistakes.
They held up well and were well worth the money.

I will be needing another set for the fall when the weather cools down and they start running here again.

Are the R1As dot legal?

I agree on the Koni tires, they mask my driving as well :D I have been happy with their performance and will keep using them but I just don't make it to the track much anymore.

I THINK they are DOT legal but I will look on them when I get home tonight and find out for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread