Toying with the idea of a Rear Diffuser

tomustang

Returning Video Tapes
Established Member
So I got some black propylene sheet from work and decided to play with it, I'd like to see what a diffuser would look like on my car so I started chopping pieces out and melted them together, just to see a rough sketch and if I would like it. I didn't measure alot since it's just a draft and cut more and more until it looked better, you know it's just plastic so what the hell, The sheet I got was not long enough to get more of the opening in the back but it's just in the beginning stages

DSC04195RS800.jpg

Yeah that's my mustang seat chair :coolman:

I just used duct tape to hold it in place but this is what it looks like on the car

DSC04190RS800.jpg

DSC04184RS800.jpg

Looks like I can do some tucking in all the way up to the rear of the fender if I can work more on it, which I plan.

Watcha guys think so far?

Mike93SVT

Savior of Junk
Established Member
it looks good. i'd like it alot more if they were a little shorter maybe...

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
Good start, but you'll need to get the Veins almost past the front of the gas tank to even begin to funnel & function amongst other critical points that need to be addressed. Do a lot of research and you'll understand what I'm talking about. It's just too much info to even beging to explain on here. You'd want to create a funnel that will increase or decrease air pressure depending on the angle and degrees of the vein structure.

Edit:
Did you have to cut into the bottom part of the rear bumper? :eek:

Last edited:

351inside

Established Member
the idea looks good, maybe if you slanted the tips of the diffuser in more inwards i think it would look alot better

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
I dont think it looks bad... For the first draft... It looks much better than I could do.. If you can make a finnished one, I could make a fiberglass mold, to make a fiberglass version..

tomustang

Returning Video Tapes
Established Member
sorry, but it looks like ass.

No sorry needed, it's in the first stage of designing, I used a heat hobby knife and some snips :beer:

Good start, but you'll need to get the Veins almost past the front of the gas tank to even begin to funnel & function amongst other critical points that need to be addressed. Do a lot of research and you'll understand what I'm talking about. It's just too much info to even beging to explain on here. You'd want to create a funnel that will increase or decrease air pressure depending on the angle and degrees of the vein structure.

Edit:

Did you have to cut into the bottom part of the rear bumper? :eek:
I got alot more to address, and more to work on, I am looking to either extend the sheet further till the gas tank cover bends or what you said right after it. I also want to make it wider to where it reaches the rear of the fender since I noticed there a nice gap there on my car (3.5" tips and 275's on a 10" tire but without quad shocks/brackets)

Oh i didn't cut anything on the body or bumper, that reflection is the tape

the idea looks good, maybe if you slanted the tips of the diffuser in more inwards i think it would look alot better
I already did that after I snapped the pics, but rain fell down so it cut my testing out for the time being

I dont think it looks bad... For the first draft... It looks much better than I could do.. If you can make a finnished one, I could make a fiberglass mold, to make a fiberglass version..
That would be nice, let me get more work into it and we'll see about it :thumbsup:

Last edited:

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
This is already being covered by someone over in the open track forum for the past few weeks. The problem is our undersides create a lot of turbulance by the time the air even reaches the gas tank. Our bumper covers are so high they really don't grab much air anyways. I commend you for the idea and think it looks good. However your time would be better spend modifying the front bumper cover as it creates up to 300 pounds of lift at 160mph. Not that any of us will ever drive our cars that fast, but any lift is not good. We need downforce!

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
This is already being covered by someone over in the open track forum for the past few weeks. The problem is our undersides create a lot of turbulance by the time the air even reaches the gas tank. Our bumper covers are so high they really don't grab much air anyways. I commend you for the idea and think it looks good. However your time would be better spend modifying the front bumper cover as it creates up to 300 pounds of lift at 160mph. Not that any of us will ever drive our cars that fast, but any lift is not good. We need downforce!

I drive that fast pretty often actually.... Sometimes faster..:burnout:

tomustang

Returning Video Tapes
Established Member

Fabbing an air dam, oil pan cover, and side pans are a different subject, and more common area to fix or have been done before many times over. Most cars that come with Diffusers nowadays are only for show and don't extend far at all. But most of us can agreed we want something that is cool looking, like a T1 spoiler but probably won't even use it at it's intended speed. Hell even Wings don't do much for the maximum speed were are allotted for on the highway. Nor does Ram Air, until you get past 60. We don't even need 300hp. But it's sweet to have it, Get it?

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread