Town Politics

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
We recently had one of the town council members crash their car and get charged with a DUI. I wrote the Mayor and asked what kind of disciplinary action is going to be held against this individual, as in kicking him off the council.
This is the response I received from him.
9F6252E9-5D8E-412C-9854-A54A79E4AF52.jpeg

What do you all think, am I over reacting? I know in my profession and many others if you get a DUI you don’t have a job any more.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Is there a "legal" manner of making sure they don't get into a lawsuit if they kick him off without following the correct procedure?

Or is this like the Ziegler drama in FL where to remove a person from a board/council needs to be removed by something higher than the council they are on?

If the council member was being honest, then it seems like it falls under the latter. Curious if there's someone higher in the chain in your area, like a Mayor that has the power to do so.

TAF

Trilogy Twin Screwed #004
Established Member
1) it is factual that until conviction, the council member is "innocent until proven guilty"...or "admission of guilt".

2) maybe this incident could create a need for your town council to adopt a council public conduct clause for penalty of removal.

Don't get me wrong...I HATE ANYBODY that drinks and drives...but...

just sayin...

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Can the council do anything? No idea. It's all about how the town's charter is written up. Would take research on your part to find out how a person is removed from the council and whether he is telling the truth or not.

We had a similar thing happen in our small town about ten years ago. The member ended up "retiring" quietly within a few months. Guessing he got lots of pressure from the other members. It was quite the scuttlebutt around town when it happened. He attempted to park his truck. In his neighbor's garage. Even though the garage door was closed.

tistan

Established Member
When I lived in Savannah we had a council man that was molesting teenage guys. Everyone knew it, but because he hadn't been charged nothing could be done to get him off the council. I knew one of the guys he molested. He as a few years younger than me, and he was good friends with my best friends little sister. You could absolutely pinpoint the change when he went from being a good kid to full on self destructive behavior. The council man was finally charged 15 years later. I'm pretty sure he got off on the charges.

Looks like the ****** is trying to get back in power.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
We can’t keep our “towns” to a reasonable level of moral decorum, but we are going to turn around our country. Lmfao. Too many people don’t care and have no shame. I pretty much assume all “public servants” are shit. Unfair but oh well.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
reminds of a little township around here where a cop got a DUI and still kept his job. I cant remember if crashed his cop car while off duty or his own car. They always have some kind of little scandal going.

I agree with looking through the charter info yourself and then see what happens if he's convicted or takes a plea deal. Even if there's nothing in the charter if another citizens start shouting him down at meetings maybe he'll just resign

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
I’ll keep an eye out on the case and see where it goes. For the little bit of research I did, according to the State constitution, you cannot hold any position in office if you have a felony.

He is a democrat so I’m sure the weak Dems in Raleigh will be easy on him. That’s why I wrote the Mayor and that’s the kind of response I got from the Mayor who is a Republican. One of the house representatives of my area even is asking for him to resign but to no avail.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
I’ll keep an eye out on the case and see where it goes. For the little bit of research I did, according to the State constitution, you cannot hold any position in office if you have a felony.

He is a democrat so I’m sure the weak Dems in Raleigh will be easy on him. That’s why I wrote the Mayor and that’s the kind of response I got from the Mayor who is a Republican. One of the house representatives of my area even is asking for him to resign but to no avail.
I think the key is to lean on your local news and/or other members of the council. Start a petition. Make noise. Attend meetings. The only way it won't get swept under the rug is to keep stirring the dust up. Write a short op ed for the local paper. Join local Facebook groups and present the facts.

This is where it starts. Make enough noise and his fellow party members will demand he retire so it doesn't reflect on him. Usually those positions are "non-policial" but we all know that isn't true.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I think the key is to lean on your local news and/or other members of the council. Start a petition. Make noise. Attend meetings. The only way it won't get swept under the rug is to keep stirring the dust up. Write a short op ed for the local paper. Join local Facebook groups and present the facts.

This is where it starts. Make enough noise and his fellow party members will demand he retire so it doesn't reflect on him. Usually those positions are "non-policial" but we all know that isn't true.
The local paper! Unless they are part of the DNC cabal, local papers love this juicy news.

02reaper

Established Member
When I lived in Savannah we had a council man that was molesting teenage guys. Everyone knew it, but because he hadn't been charged nothing could be done to get him off the council. I knew one of the guys he molested. He as a few years younger than me, and he was good friends with my best friends little sister. You could absolutely pinpoint the change when he went from being a good kid to full on self destructive behavior. The council man was finally charged 15 years later. I'm pretty sure he got off on the charges.

Looks like the ****** is trying to get back in power.
I used to see lots of post about that guy on the facebook page "Stone Stairs of Death".

Users who are viewing this thread