Towing Question

2qwikSVT

Established Member
Hey guys, next weekend I'm going to pick up an 88 f150 I just bought as a muddin truck.

I gotta take a trailer down to it and haul it back though, just wondered if my 01 Lightning would pull a car trailer with an extended cab f150 on it..? It'll be a 350 mile trip and my Lightning is stock other than K&N CAI.

Common sense says it's made to go fast, not to haul a ton, but most of you guys pull some pretty fancy boats with yours so I'm thinking it shouldn't be a problem. Opinions? Thanks!

Stoffer

I paid my buck-o-five
Established Member
well, since we can't see thru the internet and we have no idea what you are working with (Lightning mods, trailer setup, weight of intended towed vehicle, etc)

I'm going to reply with "how long is a piece of string" because that's your answer...

in stock form yes the Lightning can tow, but I can only assume your Lightning is lowered like 99.99999999% of Lightnings

drag radials are a no go for towing

weight distribution is going to be important as well as a healthy dose of common sense

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
I towed my mustang on a full size trailer with my past lightning and it pulled it just fine. It was mostly stock. Your set up will make a difference. Also depends on hills and such for tranny temps.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Damn that might be cutting it close, that truck would weigh just under 5k lbs I think. Add that plus the weight of the trailer and you could be close to 7k lbs total. Not sure if I'd trust a light weight truck like the Lightning to pull that safely. Then again I only tow small boats, flat bed trailers, and jet skis with mine.

Users who are viewing this thread