Tow Vehicle

Jabooh1

Established Member
Thinking about getting a new F150 Supercrew with the EB 3.5 and Max tow package. It has a 36 gal tank and 750 mile range. I drive 110 miles a day for work and the Boss Laguna Seca needs filled up everyday!!

Hoping people could provide insight as to how this is for towing. It says it could tow 11,000 lb. is that on flat roads only?

what about the 2.7. Is it good for towing?

Car/trailer are about 6,000 lb.

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
I also dont see it going 750. Probl losers to 640-650 before being about empty. 750 puts it getting 21mpg. I am yet to see one do that at 70-75moh let alone a crew cab with 3.55s. Most are 17-19 mpg being realistic.

Jabooh1

Established Member
The range isn't the big issue. Right now DD'ing the boss I fill up just about every day. With the F150 it would be once a week.

I will probably only tow about once a month for 30-40 miles to the track. I'm in Texas it's all flat. I could see the 3.5 but the 5.0 is more than I need I think.

mustangvsix

4 point 6
Established Member
Havent towed with mine yet, the range is typically right at 650 miles. Life of the truck (17k miles) the guage shows 18.2 mpg. My recent rip from phx to colorado springs i pulled 22mpg on the flat stuff and an overall of like 18.5-19mpg depending on direction.

It will have no problem pulling trailer and car.

UrbanKnight

Hard Core Car Whore
Established Member
You wont have any problems getting 500+ miles out of the 36 gallon tank unless you are really hard on the truck (mileage can drop done to 15ish if you are.)

Towing with an 3.5 ecoboost is like towing with a diesel, a 6k car/trailer is no sweat at all for what you are doing... torque is great, only time you know you have a trailer is when braking...

Jabooh1

Established Member
Awesome thanks. Now I just need to find a Lariat, 602a rapid spec, in Blue Jeans on the lot for a decent deal.

oldmodman

Established Member
All I have to say about tow vehicles is what I have observed.

When I am driving from Los Angeles to mammoth Mountain there is a 15 mile long steep hill.

The only tow vehicles still able to do 55mph after the first couple of miles are diesel pick ups. The gas powered trucks are all stuck at around 35mph and the engines are screaming.

Can't say I have ever seen an EcoBoost Ford on that hill but I will pat more attention next trip. Some of the slow gas pick ups were even pulling tiny 10 foot U-haul trailers and how much could that weigh?

west08

Established Member
All I have to say about tow vehicles is what I have observed.

When I am driving from Los Angeles to mammoth Mountain there is a 15 mile long steep hill.

The only tow vehicles still able to do 55mph after the first couple of miles are diesel pick ups. The gas powered trucks are all stuck at around 35mph and the engines are screaming.

Can't say I have ever seen an EcoBoost Ford on that hill but I will pat more attention next trip. Some of the slow gas pick ups were even pulling tiny 10 foot U-haul trailers and how much could that weigh?

The largest uhaul is 6x12 and weighs 1,920 lbs empty plus a max load of 2,480 so a total of 4,400 lbs. Not much weight at all. That is a pretty steep hill if the average half ton truck can't maintain 55 up it with a 5,000 load.

railroad

Established Member
You will end up with 3.73 gears in the tow package. With the 3.5 EcoB no problems. It should get about 17.5 mpg for daily driving. Turbos do well in higher altitudes, keeping the power up.

Users who are viewing this thread