Tow vehicle discussion.

03'Darin

Established Member
Troy as you have mentioned there are a ton of different options to tow with. My suggestion would be that you try and figure out exactly what all you want to do with the tow vehicle. Daily driver, winter daily driver, haul people and how many, etc... Then figure out exactly how often you'll really tow with it.

Be sure to leave a little room with towing capacity because you'll always end up with more weight than you expected. Basically once you have room to carry more, you will.

Then try and figure out a happy medium. Don't go over kill on the towing capacity when you may only tow 3 or 4 times a year but plan on driving the vehicle say all winter and some in the summer.

I tow with a 2005' F250 Crew Cab V-10. I bought the truck new in 05' and only have 10,000 miles on it. Besides other reasons I didn't want a diesel I wasn't going to drive enough to justify it either.

As far as a trailer goes steel is obviously the cheapest (by at least half) but also the heaviest. If you get a smaller vehicle like say an Explorer V-8 you should consider an aluminum trailer. But also keep in mind if you buy a bigger tow vehicle you can save money on buying a steel trailer instead of aluminum.

If 4 X 4 isn't an issue I would look at 4 X 2 150's or 250's with the 5.4 V-8. Decent fuel mileage and very good towing cpability for a fair price. As you know 4 X 2 is much cheaper than 4 X 4 in the NE.

If you need any Ford towing capacity info just hit me up. I keep the towing guides from year to year so as long as you have the engine, tranny and rear axle ratio info I can give you the towing capacity back to like 91'.

Darin

sb31767

Established Member
I tow with my daily commuter.
A Trailblazer SS. It has been awesome and between that and the trailex aluminum trailer it has been a breeze.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Troy,

I have a 98 F150 5.4L 4wd Extended Cab as my tow vehicle and I normally use the enclosed trailer in the pics below. The truck does pretty good considering my 99 weighs around 3600, I usually have a couple hundred pounds of tools in the back and I have no idea how much the trailer weighs. I usually average somewhere around 9.5mpg on the low side and up near 11 on the high when pulling... that is in Drive and not using Overdrive.

If you are considering an F150, I would stay away from 98 and older models like mine. The 99 and up models have better brakes, more power and 4 doors instead of 3 on the extended cab models. I would also stay away from oversized tires. I love the rims and tires on my truck, but they are the biggest reason for my lower gas mileage and braking dislike. As for 4wd vs 2wd... I grew up working around farms and cannot imagine having a tow vehicle that is not 4wd. But, that is just my personal opinion and experience.

I was able to get my truck about a year and a half ago and it only had 96,000 miles on it and the price was right. If I were to do it again, I would still have purchased the truck since I had a budget and goal in mind. However, I would love to upgrade my master cylinder and put on a set of 99 and up PI heads.

(The Mini is a buddy's track car)
IMG_1654.jpg

IMG_2321.gif

Last edited:

brkntrxn

Established Member
LOL, here is a rig that I guarantee will get attention when flying down the freeway. With over 400rwhp, this setup averaged only 5.5mpg at 80mph in Drive.

IMG_2582.gif

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Too bad the Lightning is only rated to tow in the neighborhood of 5,000#. :cryying:

My empty trailer weighs that! And it's all aluminum!!! :idea:

Gingerman%20paddock.jpg

FWIW

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

bobosfocus

flewbyU
Established Member
I have a 01 Suburban 2500 with the 8.1 liter. Tows like a dream. Bought it new in 01 to haul the family and the boat. Now use it mainly to pull the cars! I drive my SVT Focus daily as the Suburban gets 10mpg OUCH! Gets about 9mpg loaded up with trailer and car. I hate to say this on a Ford forum but...I thinking about trading it in on a Avalanche. They have the selective fuel mgt and shut down 4 cyls on the highway. Two guys down the street have them and get 20mpg on the highway! Would not get that when towing but, at least I could afford to drive it other times.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
brkntrxn said:
LOL, here is a rig that I guarantee will get attention when flying down the freeway. With over 400rwhp, this setup averaged only 5.5mpg at 80mph in Drive.
It would certainly get my attention. The truck has too much weight on the tail (the tail sits much lower than the front). Those big wheels must cause a rough ride in the cab.

I bet you could cook a steak off the heat coming from the S/C with that towing load on it.

ac427cobra said:
Too bad the Lightning is only rated to tow in the neighborhood of 5,000#.
Yea, it also has a maximum of 500#'s of tongue weight.

Bruce, when are you going to get rid of that smallish trailer and get a good stacker trailer? :coolman:

Renegade.gif

brkntrxn

Established Member
/\
/ \
||
||

I'd love to have that rig!!!

Yes, you two are correct about the Lightning. But keep in mind every picture has a story. This one involves four days of non-stop thrashing to finish a motor for my car to be in a magazine event.... only to find I had issues with my truck so we had to use the shop truck to pull the trailer or not go at all.

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
Nice rig.. Does the goose neck nullify the use of the bed for transport of anything else?....like tires..

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
1995COBRA-R said:
Bruce, when are you going to get rid of that smallish trailer and get a good stacker trailer? :coolman:

Well Doc:

You should know me well enough by now! :idea: That toter just aint my style. ;-)

As soon as I accumulate as much wealth as you have, I'll be cruisin' the good 'ol US of A in something more akin to this:

100_0388.JPG

99preh345vanwtrlr%20(9).JPG

I could bring Gwen AND Scarlett to the track with me!!!! :pepper:

The good news is you could buy a rig like this for half price when it was only four years old!! :idea:

So that means I'll have to save my money and be a real cheap bastage for a couple of years. :lol: :p

mustangsally50

She Bites
Established Member
TroyV said:
Nice rig.. Does the goose neck nullify the use of the bed for transport of anything else?....like tires..

Actually, no. You could probably fit a set up against the cab. Right now we just put all our tools there (about 3 boxes worth). That is what is nice about the long bed. We also have some extra room on the trailer that we could put a wheel/tire bar up front as well.....future projects....;-)

cobra4b

@ The Track
Established Member
I towed to VIR this weekend for the first time. I used a friend's '90 Suburban w/ a 454 and his 24ft enclosed trailer. Truck towed ok, but would really loose momentum up the hills around VIR on 58.

Having to get my 6'4" 250lb self out of the window of my Z06 was a PITA too. It was nice to have the car fully prepped and just back it out and go, then just load it up and come home yesterday.

Here's the rig...
MazdaGrand07017.gif

MazdaGrand07016.gif

And the car for shits and giggles...
MazdaGrand07014.gif

MazdaGrand07010.gif

MazdaGrand07011.gif

My DD is a '04 GMC canyon extended cab, I-5, tow package 2wd. I've added rear air springs, and extra front mount trans cooler to add to the factory on in the radiator end tank, and a 7-pin upgrade w/ trailer brake controller.

I'm buying an 18-ft open deck econo-trailer most likely... so car on trailer should be a little under 5000lbs. Can't wait to have my own setup.

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
cobra4b said:
It was nice to have the car fully prepped and just back it out and go, then just load it up and come home yesterday.

This is my main motivation for looking for a rig....as opposed to say...towing a tire trailer behind the car..

cobra4b

@ The Track
Established Member
TroyV said:
This is my main motivation for looking for a rig....as opposed to say...towing a tire trailer behind the car..
I did that for a few years... I'd put my track pads in and just swap tires at the track. But... you're still stranded should something go wrong.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
ac427cobra said:
As soon as I accumulate as much wealth as you have, I'll be cruisin' the good 'ol US of A in something.....
Hey, if you had the same wealth as I, you'd have to find a real job to support your racing addiction. :D

Nonetheless, that Prevost is beautiful.

ac427cobra said:
I could bring Gwen AND Scarlett to the track with me!
With your racing budget, you could just cruise to the track in the Prevost and have your crew drive five of your cars to a race. You could just buy a 18-wheel rig to follow the Prevost to the track:
JC2.jpg

I just returned from Watkins Glen in my little trailer. It was a 2200 mile trip, and I used $950 in gas for the truck (another $300 in race gas).

Pace3.jpg

1966 GT350:
Dick07c.gif

BTW Bruce, thanks for the WG video. One guy who had never been watched it over one hundred times before he arrived. He did a 2:18 on his first lap (and eventually won his class in the enduro). We all plan to study your Road America video for next month's Kohler Challenge.

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
1995COBRA-R said:
BTW Bruce, thanks for the WG video. One guy who had never been watched it over one hundred times before he arrived. He did a 2:18 on his first lap (and eventually won his class in the enduro). We all plan to study your Road America video for next month's Kohler Challenge.

No problem Doc, anytime. a 2:18 is mighty impressive for a first lap at The Glen. :thumbsup: They timed my first lap with a calendar! :loser:

For the Road America vids these two are the best:

Here is 2006. Ran a 2:30. Just missed cracking the 2-1/2 minute mark! :( But with my new brakes this year, I hope it happens! :read:

http://www.trackdawgz.com/Videos/2-30 RA 06.wmv

The previous year was a 2:31 and that on was not bad either. Now you know why everybody wants 500 RWHP for Road America!

http://www.trackdawgz.com/Videos/RoadAmerica231.WMV

:pepper:

I'm really sorry I'll be missing your Wisconsin visit this year Doc! :whine: But you're going to see my sorry ass at Road Atlanta next year if it's the only damn event I do!!! :rockon: :pop:

Users who are viewing this thread