Tow hook on GT350

Established Member
Do we have any good options for tow hooks that don't damage the bumpers ? :idea:

thanks

Kelgar63

It's in the manual. I'll post a picture of it if someone hasn't already before I get home from work.

The GT350 Supplement shows the mid underbody J hooks on a Y strap. I plan on getting/making one of these, but that doesn't address the need for a quick front tow hook for track days. On a car made for the track that couldn't have been forgotten? I've read that the front brace in some models (R and Track Pack) may be steel vs. aluminium in other models. There may be something to be made or purchased aftermarket for those but I'm not finding much information. Previous Mustangs (S197s) pictures of track cars show a mid front grill tow hook, but who knows with the S550.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
The group that did the GT350 had the opportunity to take advantage of the "hook" in use on export models. I bought one just to see the quality. Export models have a plug that favors the passenger side that when you pop open exposes female threads that you can then thread the hook into. It'll probably take GM to do it on the Camaro before Ford follows suit.

Come on Ford, this really isn't that difficult.

tow1hook2.jpg

tow3hook2.jpg

tow2hook2.jpg

tow1hook2-2.jpg

tow1hook2-1.jpg

Last edited:

Shelbyman

Established Member
You guys are so right on about this tow hook thing. I can't imagine actually using that Y strap set up at the track to pull it into a trailer. And my trailer doesn't have E tracks so I wouldn't be able to tie it down with over the wheel straps which I would love to use. I'm not even sure this will fit in my 22' Wells Cargo Auto Wagon. It's a good 8" longer than my 66. I did some rough measurements and I think it will physically fit...maybe. But then how am I going to secure it using the straps and 4 rings on the trailer? The only way I can foresee working is straps through the spokes in the wheels and then hoping the straps will clear the body when tightening it down. Porsche uses a unique system where they remove a lug nut and screw on another extended lug with a O welded on the end and then attach the tie down to that. That way the tie down avoids all the body work. Might just work on these cars as well.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Why wouldn't you just put E Track down?

Shelbyman

Established Member
Why wouldn't you just put E Track down?

You bring up a good point. I don't know how complex that is to do...cutting the floor? Welding etc. Do you know how it all installs? And what kind of cost to have it done at a trailer repair yard? I would think I don't need it all the way along both sides but only from just behind the front wheels forward and just in front of the rear wheels backward....and does the down slope of the rear of the trailer have any effect? Thanks.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You bring up a good point. I don't know how complex that is to do...cutting the floor? Welding etc. Do you know how it all installs? And what kind of cost to have it done at a trailer repair yard? I would think I don't need it all the way along both sides but only from just behind the front wheels forward and just in front of the rear wheels backward....and does the down slope of the rear of the trailer have any effect? Thanks.

Extremely easy to do. I've helped my dad on 3 or 4 of his trailers. Takes less than 3 hours, and we are in no sense of the word carpenters lol

We just marked the floor, then drilled bolts through the cross members to secure it.

Last edited:

Shelbyman

Established Member
Extremely easy to do. I've helped my dad on 3 or 4 of his trailers. Takes less than 3 hours, and we are in no sense of the word carpenters lol

We just marked the floor, then drilled bolts through the cross members to secure it.

Thanks for the great information. I'll look up how to do it online. A question...are you saying you didn't need to cut your trailers wooden floor but rather it installs on top of it?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Thanks for the great information. I'll look up how to do it online. A question...are you saying you didn't need to cut your trailers wooden floor but rather it installs on top of it?

Correct. It probably sticks up about a 1/4 inch from the floor.

CO Mack

Established Member
I figured it might be good to resurrect this thread. Anyone have any comparisons/opinions on the ZL1 add on thread in vs the FP front end removal hook?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
If you are averse to cutting your grille you are pretty much stuck with the ZL1 hardware. If you want a better engineered solution, you'll have to trim a little from the grille - upper for something like the FRPP/Watson mount/hook or lower for something like what Rocket Science Racing offers.

CO Mack

Established Member
If you are averse to cutting your grille you are pretty much stuck with the ZL1 hardware. If you want a better engineered solution, you'll have to trim a little from the grille - upper for something like the FRPP/Watson mount/hook or lower for something like what Rocket Science Racing offers.

I like that the FRPP is theft proof too.

Users who are viewing this thread