Toured the USA in my car - this is my story

Canoodler

I hate speedbumps
Established Member
Hello everyone. Long time no see but I figured I'd share a trip that I took recently around the country. It was something I've always wanted to do and was a while in the making. I didn't post it in the Pics & Vids Buffet because it wasn't SVT-related but more along the lines of general chat and how great this country is that we live in. It took me quite some time to upload and post everything onto a different forum so I figure it would be easiest to just link to that thread. I should be finished with it either tonight or tomorrow. It's a VW forum so I had to post a lot of pictures of my car for it to be acceptable within the guidelines of posting it there. I also had to upgrade my photobucket account to Pro so I didn't run out of bandwidth and wanted to share with everyone I could. I hope you enjoy the pictures and find some inspiration for setting across on a venture such as mine for yourselves. If you've already taken a roadtrip like this, I'd be quite interested in hearing about it as well. Without further delay, I present to you my story:

Link: VWvortex Forums: Toured the USA in my Mk3 - this is my story

JasonSnake

Established Member
awesome!

If you have a laptop, you could have bought a power inverter for the car and you would have been able to watch your DVD's on a bigger screen :-D I've been doing some "camping out" myself and it has proved very useful to have an inverter, at least 1000 watts.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Absolutely awesome. How long did it take you altogether? Do you have a map showing the route you took?

BLOWN PONY

Established Member
My great grand mother lived right down the road from the the Chrystler boyhood home in Ellis KS!

Do they still have the prototype Viper in there? ;)

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
Viewing thread now, amazing man. I actually envy you. This is what the wife and I planned on doing at retirement (in a RV though...)...

How much did this cost after everything was said and done?

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
oh wow..reminds me of the roadtrip I took with my best friend

snuck into a hotel for several nights, breakfast in canada, sleeping in parking lots and rest areas, concert hopping, running out of gas in PA[lol] and whatnot..was truly the most amazing and 'free' I have ever felt in my life...to not know or care what tomorrow held, the next 30 minutes, or even where the next destination was..

jf4boogie

Established Member
Viewing thread now, amazing man. I actually envy you. This is what the wife and I planned on doing at retirement (in a RV though...)...

How much did this cost after everything was said and done?

I think I saw somewhere in the $4k range...

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
DSCF5222.jpg

:lol:

You're here posting this so I assume you followed these directions.

Last edited:

Speedylifsavr

Established Member
Amazing thread....thanks for sharing . How long did it take you to plan everything? Or did you just fly by the seat of your pants?

This is my plan when I retire.....dammit 17 yrs to go!

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Post that on The Car Lounge.... it's linked from the main forum page on Vortex.

Users who are viewing this thread