Tourble with new axles on SRA

foxspy

Established Member
Hey guys,

I've had my Cobra for almost 2 weeks and noticed a slight squeak coming from the right rear tire. I put it up on a lift a found the axle was slightly bent. The car has a solid rear axle in it, but the previous owner did not know anything about the setup (it was already done when he got the car).

So I ordered a axle kit from Superior Axle. I got everything torn apart and when I went to slide the new axles in, they are getting hung up by something as they are reaching the splines in the differential itself. I can feel the splines mesh up, but then it stops. I slightly tapped the driver side axle with a mallet and it went into place where I can install the C clip. The passenger side axle won't budge with some light taps, and I feel like I shouldn't have to bang on it. The stock axles slid right out, so I wonder what's the hang up.

Has anyone experienced this? What would cause this? I made sure that I have the correct spline axles.

Thanks!

Last edited:

foxspy

Established Member
Well,

I measured my axles I took out of the car and they measure 3/4" shorter than the Superior Axles that were sent to me. The part # on the box shows the right number, but it appears the axles inside the box are not correct.

I've tried calling Superior numerous times and no one answers, just background hold music. Looks like some Jeep guys are having the same issues trying to get ahold of them....

foxspy

Established Member
After thinking about it, I wonder if the person that did the SRA put in 94-98 axles in, because they're .75" shorter than the ones Superior sent, and from what I've read, that's the difference between 94-99 and 99-04 axles...

The previous owner was running a 1/2" wheel spacer, so if they are the 94-98 axles, then I wonder if I can just run the longer axles without the wheel spacer..

Last edited:

jdogg43

Established Member
So it's going in but stopping before its all the way in? I had a problem where I couldn't get passenger side axle to line up with splines and ended up being a bent axle tube, mine was bent so bad that you could tell by looking at housings, most of the time you can't tell without getting it checked at a shop

94 to 98 axles are slightly shorter, 99-04 are longer. You need to measure your housing and see if its the 94-98 length or 99-04 length. I believe they are measured from backing plate to backing plate

Last edited:

foxspy

Established Member
I measured, and I do have a 94-98 rear end, so hopefully I can get new axles sent out today.

I'll have to see when I get the new axles about the axle tubes being bent, I sure hope that isn't the case.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

rudycobra

Established Member
Dam just saw this . Man I just rode in that car few days before it was shipped and I didn't hear anything . Tubes should not b bent unless were before he got it . Jeff never brought it to track and was not that hard on it on street even .

foxspy

Established Member
I got it figured out.

The new axles for the 94-98 slid right in without any issues.

Now the Zone 5 MDM took a dump and had to get a tow home. I just ordered parts to convert to a return style fuel system.

Users who are viewing this thread