Totalled my cobra--need help

bat-stang

The REAL Dark Knight
Established Member
Was in an incident in my car. Could some of you post quoted values of your 93 Cobras? I was hit at an intersection damaging the front right of the car- then after all the paperwork was completed, the wrecker driver failed to secure my vehicle and it bounced off of the lift and damaged the other side of the car, causing core support and front frame damage. I will be entertaining two adjusters and I would like to have some information from other owners. My car was a daily driver/ restomod so I'm not looking for collector car status quotes. THANK YOU in advance.

blownfox

Established Member
I'm sorry to hear but hagerty's has a car values page that might help you. They can be broken out into four categories but they do not have a restomod option. I'm currently working with my insurance company to get a stated value of how much I can insure my car for. My car is a restomod like yours. Please keep us up today on what happens.

https://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools/HVT/VehicleSearch/Report?vbe=18615

Mach828

Established Member
If you are worried about value hire an independent adjuster. It costs a couple hundred but if your insurance is trying to low ball you this is the best way to get them to listen. Otherwise you won't get anywhere.

bat-stang

The REAL Dark Knight
Established Member
Thanks for the wisdom fellas. And I will (however much it hurts or embarrasses ) let you guys know the outcome.

WillyB93

Established Member
Just do not agree on anything unless you are satisfied, plus IMO I would work the deal to get the car back. Then you can at least use a few things off it for your next one or sell parts off it depending on the condition of course.

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
I had an issue getting a certain collector car insurer to insure my Cobra above $9K. They said they needed receipts of the restoration to value it at a higher amount. I explained the car was all original and had never been restored. The company told me my only option was to get an appraisal and it didn't have to be from someone they recommended. I got an online appraisal from these guys (just filled out the form and sent pictures): http://americasautoappraisers.com/ for $75. My car was valued by them at $22.5K and (as a result of the appraisal) is currently insured at that same amount.

bat-stang

The REAL Dark Knight
Established Member
Gotcha. I'm a bit behind on that... My perspective is to get them to see the general value of our cars rather than an itemized summation. I'm hoping that the real market might be more of an influence than KBB. I might actually have time to get a before accident appraisal. I'm not trying to scam; I just want a fair payoff in the event of a total.
image.jpg

Memphis1

That's terrible. I have had this happen to friends on mine so I have learned. When I get an older car insured or a classic I make the insurance Co. put it in writing stated value before I sign. I might pay a little more but if my 93. Cobra low milllage gets totaled I'm covered.

bat-stang

The REAL Dark Knight
Established Member
Update: after FINALLY getting the other persons insurance to claim 100% responsibility, I am waiting for the SF adjuster to go look at my car. The wreckers insurance company already sent an adjuster to look at the car, and requested my aftermarket receipts. With all of the flooded vehicles here in Houston due to the rain, I don't know if it will cause any time delays with my claim. No worries; I have my rental so here we go!

racerbox77

Established Member
D@mmit sorry to hear this. What are you going to get now? What was the outcome of the insurance adjustment? Parting out? Keeping?

bat-stang

The REAL Dark Knight
Established Member
Well folks here is the outcome: total payout was just under $12k. The claim lasted almost two months. I decided to take the money. Perhaps in the near future I'll revisit the cobra ranks. Take away? Get an evaluation on your car, keeps your receipts. They did not give me the option to buy back. Would have to go auction route to bid. I bought a Range Rover to match my wife's discovery. Thanks for all the help!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread