Total Newbie Question

james007p

Established Member
Hey guys, I just picked up my 2001 Lightning 2 days ago and am really excited about it. I've never raced anything before so the speed is all new to me. I plan to learn a lot from this club but the one simple question I have is about breaking in my new vehicle.

I have 83 miles on it right now and the Dealer told me that for the first 1000 miles I should go easy and not "gun" it. The manual says to "vary speeds" for the 1st 1000 miles. Can I gun it once in a while or will I do damage to the vehicle? Again, please forgive the novice question but I'm just starting out.

I also see posts about chrome wheels. How much do they affect performance, especially if you switch to a 20 inch wheel instead of 18 stock?

DJANIMATE

Established Member
Your question is going to get a lot of different responses, personally I went easy for the first 1000 miles but I couldn't resist going WOT a couple of times:) I also changed the oil at 1000 miles to remove any metal that may be in it from the engine breaking in. My 02

BlkSVTTruck

Dave McShane
Established Member
Drive it like you STOLE it. I think it's worse if you baby it then try and race it later. FORD builds these motors broken in.

james007p

Established Member
Thanks for the input guys. What about the chrome wheels though and perhaps changing the size from the 18s to 20s???

Users who are viewing this thread