Total Newbie Question - Tranny Fluid

EnglishAdam

Established Member

Don't want to be an ass but there is no Mercon 3. Only Mercon or Mercon 5.
Mercon is the same spec as Dexron 3 which I have used for 20k with no problems.
Ford now says that we can use Mercon 5 after years of this being a big no no.

Use Mercon or Dexron 3.

bgstew6

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
Established Member
Yup good old rot gut Merc/DexIII get it at a good price at NAPA................

cpsmith10

Established Member
I have asked this question time and time again because I constantly got different answers on the subject and after it all hearing from the best, cheap old regular MERCON is the only way to go with our transmissions. Alot of the synthetic transmission fluids are too slippery and will cause our transmissions to slip.

Robert Francis

Established Member
If you do a "search" in here, you'll find guys used many different "brands" of trans fluid - personally I used Valvoline - with no problems. And a lot of guys specificially got the cheapest Walmarts they could get - and don't seem to be suffering any ill effects from using. Although many have their personal preferences, it just doesn't seem to make any real difference what brand you get.

Although most will stick with and recommend Mercon III - you'll find guys who are using Mercon V - and don't seem to eb suffering any ill effects.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
you'll find guys who are using Mercon V - and don't seem to eb suffering any ill effects.

+1

We use Mercon V for all our vehicles with the 4r100 transmission and have had no problems with the transmissions. (100k+)

Last edited:

Robert Francis

Established Member
I can recall Greg Evans working at one of the Ford Plants (Sharonville ?) in the past and as I recall he was a transmission repairman there. He seemed a very knowledgeable transmission man and as I recall he "marketed" for a while a "modified transmission" - but I don't believe he "designed" the factory transmission. I recall that he always recommended the Mercon III - but in doing searches in the past, I also found several guys many years ago that inadvertently put in Mercon V in their high hp L's before Ford stopped marketing Mercon III, and they didn't seem to suffer any ill effects. When they "posted" on a forum, many responded that they should immediately change to Mercon III - some did, some didn't. But I never read where someone had put in Mercon V and shortly thereafter suffered a transmission failure or some part of the transmission failed or had some transmission operation fail or act erratically - and they were sure the cause of that failure was in using Mercon V. Perhaps there may be some "long term" effects - say at 100k+ miles or so that have not shown up due to not many L owners having that kind of mileage?

Robert Francis

Established Member
Greg Evans used to post a lot years ago and was very appreciated - I don't know whats happened to him in the past couple of years. But I recall, Greg (and you could probably check it out on some old threads when Greg used to talk about some of his "in-plant" experiences) referred to himself as a "transmission repairman" where he worked at the time (I believe either the Ford Sharonville or Batavia Plant), but at that time (back in 2001-2) he was not an "engineer" and did not design the transmission used in the Lightning.

Greg did market his "modified" Lightning transmission for a couple of years - the "monster box" or something like that. Going back on memory, some of the first ones that purchased it liked it, but as I recall the later ones he supposedly produced (but some have said they actually were produced by Jasper) didn't do well at all.

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member
Greg Evans used to post a lot years ago and was very appreciated - I don't know whats happened to him in the past couple of years. But I recall, Greg (and you could probably check it out on some old threads when Greg used to talk about some of his "in-plant" experiences) referred to himself as a "transmission repairman" where he worked at the time (I believe either the Ford Sharonville or Batavia Plant), but at that time (back in 2001-2) he was not an "engineer" and did not design the transmission used in the Lightning.

Greg did market his "modified" Lightning transmission for a couple of years - the "monster box" or something like that. Going back on memory, some of the first ones that purchased it liked it, but as I recall the later ones he supposedly produced (but some have said they actually were produced by Jasper) didn't do well at all.

yea greg posting was before my time... but thats some good info!

runs2rch

7 minutes!!!!
Established Member
Don't want to be an ass but there is no Mercon 3. Only Mercon or Mercon 5.
Mercon is the same spec as Dexron 3 which I have used for 20k with no problems.
Ford now says that we can use Mercon 5 after years of this being a big no no.

Use Mercon or Dexron 3.

Sorry thats what I meant. Busy at work I don't get it out right sometimes :nonono:

Ford is dumb. :thumbsup:

:-D

Users who are viewing this thread