Torque

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Why does this question deserve flack? You act as if 500 is some ungodly amount of HP for a Terminator when its your basic bolt ons to get it. I'm not sure man..but maybe its in your tune or your pulley combo. I make 481RWTQ and 476RWHP with a 2.8 upper and 4lb lower, stage three port on the heaton and ported throttle body and elbow. Could be a number of things..heat maybe..exhaust :shrug:

Emil

Established Member
Why does the car have 500 horsepower, and only 480 tq? Does the supercharger really rob the engine of that much torque?
What it means is that the torque at higher rpm doesn't drop off as much as say an engine with 480hp/480tq.
Horsepower is simply torque(lb-ft) x rpm / 5252. If you had an engine that had a flat torque profile the hp would just keep going up as the rpms rise.

03CobraDude

I mean... since superchargers are belt driven, a supercharged engine would make a bit less torque than it potentially could, because some of it's used to run the supercharger. Does the blower on the GT500 really need 20 ft lbs to run it? The terminator didn't lose that much. It was rated the same as the hp... 390/390.

GTWill said:
I think your brain has been robbed of intelligence.

Shove a cork up your ass you half minded, 2nd rate, dimwitted redneck!

cobradude

SVT DUDE
Established Member
Well, I'm sure they would have said 480@480 but, it's a gt 500 and 500 hp just fits it's character. I think it really is 480@480 from what the numbers show.

Emil

Established Member
I mean... since superchargers are belt driven, a supercharged engine would make a bit less torque than it potentially could, because some of it's used to run the supercharger. Does the blower on the GT500 really need 20 ft lbs to run it? The terminator didn't lose that much. It was rated the same as the hp... 390/390.
Two things,
I'm sure the supercharger uses quite a bit more than 20lb-ft, I would venture to guess somewhere in the 75lb-ft region. that's why they need to beef up the bottom end so much and also why heat can be a concern.
On the terminator it means that if you looked at the torque curve you would see that it falls off faster than that of the GT500.
Torque is force, hp is power. It's kinda tricky to get the relationship but look at some hp/torque charts and at a specific rpm read what the torque is, multiply it by the rpm then divide by 5252 and you'll end up with the hp reading. It will all be clear then.

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Huntington Beach, CA (h), Culver City (w)
It would see, if the relationship is simular to the terminators, the blower is under driven. Having tried 2 different pullies WHILE strapped to the same dyno at the same time back to back, the more you force the blower, the more the torque goes up a lot faster than the HP. and this is a bigger motor, so... one can hope. Could also be corked up intake or crappy factory tune.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Power = torque*ω

Peak torque does not have to equal peak power. The answer is as stated right here.
Emil said:
What it means is that the torque at higher rpm doesn't drop off as much as say an engine with 480hp/480tq.
Horsepower is simply torque(lb-ft) x rpm / 5252. If you had an engine that had a flat torque profile the hp would just keep going up as the rpms rise.
If TQ was flat, then power would be > torque past 5252 rpm. (Nicely explained Emil)

Users who are viewing this thread