Torque Wrench Question

90FoX

Established Member
What's up guy. Merry Xmas....I haven't been on for a while.

I have a 1/4" in/lb torque wrench and need to torque a 1-1/16" socket which is a 1/2". So I have to put a 1/4" to 3/8" attachment then a 3/8" to 1/2" attachment then the socket. Also the socket is a deep socket.

Someone told me that by doing this you are not reading accurate torque measurements because of the attachments used.

Is this true? :??:

If so, is there anything I can do other than get a 1/2" in/lb torque wrench? I don't even think they make those haha.

:beer:

94venomV8

Established Member
Chances are if you have that big of a bolt you are going to torque it more than what that 1/4" will do anyway. And yes the more extensions and adapters you put on it will take up some of the torque you are delivering to the bolt. I would just go get a 1/2" torque wrench, you can get one a harbor freight for pretty cheap.

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
On one of my craftman's torque wrench instructions, it states that extensions do not effect the torque readings.

As long as its still in a straight line pretty much.

Other wise they provide other situations where it would read diff and even give you equations on how to calc the torque. Pretty cool of them.

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
Like was said, if your torquing something that big, a 1/4" drive torque wrench probably isnt going to be enough.

90FoX

Established Member
On one of my craftman's torque wrench instructions, it states that extensions do not effect the torque readings.

As long as its still in a straight line pretty much.

Other wise they provide other situations where it would read diff and even give you equations on how to calc the torque. Pretty cool of them.

First, I got a warning for posting in the wrong forum. My bad :bash:

Nice good too know. This is the same information I have been finding online. Apparently sometimes you need to use a crow foot wrench extension and there is an equation you need to use to calculate the right torque. But if you use adapters and extensions which keep a right angle with the torque wrench the reading does not change. I hope I have read reliable information from the web.

Venom I am checking pinion gear bearing preload which is to low for a 1/2" to read. So basically chances are not in my favor this time.

Thanks guys :beer:

Last edited:

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
Chances are if you have that big of a bolt you are going to torque it more than what that 1/4" will do anyway. And yes the more extensions and adapters you put on it will take up some of the torque you are delivering to the bolt. I would just go get a 1/2" torque wrench, you can get one a harbor freight for pretty cheap.

If it is precsion enough where he feels the extensions and adapters would compromise the actual torque, I would hope that he would use a quality torque wrench.

ESVEETEE

Established Member
Torque is a simple measurement of force times perpendicular distance.

As long as the perpendicular distance (ie the length of the torque wrench) is unchanged by the extensions, then there is no increase or decrease in torque.

The crows foot changes the torque because it changes the angle and therefore the perpendicular distance must be recalculated.

Hopefully that clears up any misconceptions in an engineering fashion.

Users who are viewing this thread