Torque Box Reinforcment Plates? UMI vs. Wild Rides?

90FoX

Established Member
Need to reinforce my torque boxes. One too many launches on dr at the track will do it.

So I've been looking around and the price difference between UMI and wild rides torque box reinforcement plates is huge.

But the product is simple and basically the same.

Can anyone tell me if it's worth spending the extra 80 or so bucks on the wild rides plates?

Are there any other manufactures who make these?

Should I also reinforce the uppers? Or do these generally not have problem like the lowers?

jumperjack

Established Member
I did both upper and lowers when I did mine. I bought the Wild Rides because you are supposed to be able to get them in without cutting but didn't seem to work that way. I ended up going with another brand and cutting the lower opening just a bit and had no problems then. I welded the factory stuff up first and then installed the reinforcements and welded those up. I still have a set of the wild rides over at the garage if you want them pm me an offer. I have a bunch of pics of the install also. Here is a thread I started when I was doing mine. I never finished the entire write up got busy.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/sn95-cobras-24/625497-rear-build-long-read-w-pics-part-1-a.html

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
I just welded all the factory seams by putting a bead all the way around the boxes. Both upper and lower. If you have solid bushings weld a washer on either side of the bolt holes so that they wont' oval out.

-Mark

90FoX

Established Member
jump - that's weird, i've heard from others that they didn't have to cut the plates, Is it possible your tb's may have tweaked in a way preventing the plates from going in without cutting?

98 - my seams were already welded when I had the subframes installed. My boxes are ripping in a weird place also. I think because I welded the boxes they are ripping at the next weakest point.

jumperjack

Established Member
jump - that's weird, i've heard from others that they didn't have to cut the plates, Is it possible your tb's may have tweaked in a way preventing the plates from going in without cutting?

98 - my seams were already welded when I had the subframes installed. My boxes are ripping in a weird place also. I think because I welded the boxes they are ripping at the next weakest point.

No it was more of a lack of patience and wanting to get them done. I didn't have to open them up very much and it made it easier for me. I just cut and bent the corners out just a bit then bent them back in place and tacked them back.

Users who are viewing this thread