Torque Arm Question...

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
Been searching high and low for answers but hard to find them. Thought Id ask here since there are a few guys running a torque arm setup on their SN95 cars.

The car is primarily an "agressive street driven" car with occasional open tracking and drag racing.

I wont say whats done to the suspension now, but assuming Im starting from scratch and I have the following parts already:

Eibach Sway Bars (front and rear)
Griggs Torque Arm
Fays2 Watts Link
Griggs Caster/Camber plates
Lakewood rear Lower Control arms with urethane bushings

and various bracing like an STB, 4point Kmember brace and Full Length SFCs...

WHAT STRUTS/SHOCKS and SPRING RATES are recommended to use with the above parts??

Accepting critiques from those who are experienced on the following parts:

Im leaning towards Koni SA or MM Bilstein Sports with:
300-350 lb coil overs up Front
375-440lb stock location torque arm coil springs for the rear (MM Street Performance)

^^ Will these be OK with the Eibach sway bars? Im not spending money on adjustable bars as I dont see the need for them.

What are some suggestions otherwise?

Thanks in advance!

:beer:

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
My suggestion is to stick with one company. If you have mostly Griggs stick with them.. All there parts are made to work together.. Ditch the LCA's from Lakewood and get some MM or Griggs LCA's.. I would also ditch that watts link and get a Griggs unit if you can. Again all there parts are meant to work together and geometry could be different.

For springs rates and shocks and struts.. I have Koni D/A's on all four corners.. Love them. they are pricey but you can really fine tune them. I would go with 350lb c/o spring in the front. and for the rear I would contact either griggs or MM to find out what would work best if you stick with that Watts link..

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
My suggestion is to stick with one company. If you have mostly Griggs stick with them.. All there parts are made to work together.. Ditch the LCA's from Lakewood and get some MM or Griggs LCA's.. I would also ditch that watts link and get a Griggs unit if you can. Again all there parts are meant to work together and geometry could be different.

For springs rates and shocks and struts.. I have Koni D/A's on all four corners.. Love them. they are pricey but you can really fine tune them. I would go with 350lb c/o spring in the front. and for the rear I would contact either griggs or MM to find out what would work best if you stick with that Watts link..

Thanks for the reply!

I emailed Griggs a cpl weeks ago to get his input as he's been helpful to me before. But I havent heard back from him yet.

I am open to substituting that Watts Link for a Griggs PHB. I do like the components of the Griggs GR40 Super Street Kit, but the rear coil-overs are damn pricey!

Whats on the rear of your car?

workmangc

Stay away from SHM.
Established Member
My suggestion is to stick with one company.

+1, In addition to sticking with one company you can speak to their techs and get good info on what you will need. However if you have swaybar A with LCA B and watts link C......Company A would be giving you a guess at best as what to use.

My advice...get your answers straight from a reputable company that actually takes their products to the track..MM and griggs come to mind, but there are others as well.

I don't recall seeing a Lakewood car running around in NASA SE......

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
+1, In addition to sticking with one company you can speak to their techs and get good info on what you will need. However if you have swaybar A with LCA B and watts link C......Company A would be giving you a guess at best as what to use.

My advice...get your answers straight from a reputable company that actually takes their products to the track..MM and griggs come to mind, but there are others as well.

I don't recall seeing a Lakewood car running around in NASA SE......

Thanks, I do agree about getting info about what to use with these components.

I guess I'll give Griggs a call tomorrow and hopefully I get someone to talk to.

Last edited:

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
Still welcoming other peoples thoughts and suggestions in the meantime. The more discussion the better for me. Thanks!

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
I have to agree with everyone above.. I'd stick with MM personally. The only place I would deviate is their coil overs.. They want an arm and a leg for them.. When I get around to it, I'll be using a MM TA/Panhard setup as well. I just need to build my subframes first..

poisonpony96

Established Member
I've owned both koni SA and bilstiens hd and sport vavled. Bilstiens hands down! Much better ride Both setups were with coilovers. Call MM talk to them about this subject they steer u in the right direction. Bilstiens

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
IN the rear I'm running MM adjustable LCA's with a Griggs spring and a Koni D/A shock.. Not a coil over setup

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
I've owned both koni SA and bilstiens hd and sport vavled. Bilstiens hands down! Much better ride Both setups were with coilovers. Call MM talk to them about this subject they steer u in the right direction. Bilstiens

Thanks for the reply. Which Bilsteins did you like better? The HDs or the Sports?
Did you have a torque arm setup as well?

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
MM w/ height adjustment so I can corner weight the car. Both ends are urethan iirc or derlin.

KCRN12

Established Member
For the rear, I can't really help you out cause I have an IRS and coil overs. However, up front I've got the MM coil overs and bilstein hd struts. And I love them. I have 325lb/in springs up front, but I wish I went a little stiffer. I talked to MM before ordering and they said the lowest spring rate they recommend for the front is 325. They said that's what most people run, and are happy with it, but I wish it was a little stiffer for cornering's sake. Although, I do have the factory sway bars, so I'm sure 325 or 350 would probably work well with the sway bars you have.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
My only comment would be I would pass on the Grigg's watt's link. Don't get me wrong, awesome piece, but you're not going AI racing or anything and to get their Watt's link to fit you have to cut the trunk. I'd just run a panhard bar instead.

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
My only comment would be I would pass on the Grigg's watt's link. Don't get me wrong, awesome piece, but you're not going AI racing or anything and to get their Watt's link to fit you have to cut the trunk. I'd just run a panhard bar instead.

Its actually the Fays2 Watts Link...
FAYS2 Suspension Watts Link

I have it up for sale locally. If it goes, I'll get the Griggs Panhard bar.

poisonpony96

Established Member
The difference with hd sport and race is spring rates. U have to talk to MM. Yes I have full systems on both cars. And car with hd just had super sport springs.

Users who are viewing this thread