torn meniscus

scorched

Established Member
ive got a quick question for those of your who have torn your meniscus as well

i am getting arthroscopic surgery july 12 to repair a torn meniscus in my right knee. i am wondering for those of you who have had a similar injury, what kinda down time will i be looking at? after effects? how does the knee feel after the surgery (few months/years later)?

basically any info anyone could give me on expected recovery time; walking, running etc

thanks a lot

scorch

Sirhc7897

Established Member
I've had it done to both knees and had totally different experiences....

First knee the doctor put all kinds of tubing in there and attached it to a drain. Hurt like hell for days after the surgery but once they pulled the tubing (unreal to see how much tubing they stuck in my knee) all the pain went away. I had to wait a while for surgery on that one and the repair was fairly extensive. It was a month or 2 before i could get back into a gym and had any decent mobility in it to excercise it. Once I did I remember struggling with five pounds on the leg curl and having to slowly build it back up.....It took several months but once it was good it was great and has been great ever since (8+ years now)....

The other was about 3 years ago. That doctor did not do the whole drain tube thing and the damage was not nearly as extensive. I used almost none of my pain killers and was walking around on it lightly the same night I had surgery. Within a month it was 100%+ and had been great ever since as well.....

rkomo

Herro, Mr. Itabashi here
Established Member
Had mine repaired on June 4th. I walked out of the hospital. It hurt good for a few days, but no issues. I was driving my Z06 3 days later and just did an open track event at NJMP this past Tues. Good luck....:beer:

cobra1993svt

Established Member
I just tore my meniscus 2 weeks ago. Had a MRI and now I have a knee Drs appointment this coming Tues. I cant wait to have it repaired. Limping around is a PITA

yoda

Boost Lee Roy
Established Member
I had my right knee "fixed" back in 03. When the doctor went in, it ended up being a bigger tear then they had thought. They ended up taking the damage meniscus out instead of repairing it, i was walking within days but wasn't really suppose to lol. All of the locking issues are gone but i do have pain every once in a while (weather changes).

tistan

Established Member
I tore mine 10 years ago, but I also tore my mcl at the same time. It was about 8 weeks before I got most of my mobility back. Now I have a good bit of pain from time to time, and sometimes it wants to lock up on me. I was told that is probably some cartilage floating around. One day I will have to get that removed.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
depends on whether they repair it, or remove it. most meniscus tears cannot be repaired. the meniscus has a very poor blood supply. if its a relatively small tear, or a frayed tear, or a tear not amenable to repair (one that is in the avascular section of the meniscus), then the damaged portion will be removed. your recovery would be minimal--crutches for a couple days, and back to normal activity in a few weeks.

if its a larger tear, and/or a tear that goes into the area of the meniscus with a good blood supply, they will repair it. you have to protect the tear to let it heal---so you will be on crutches for 4-6 weeks, and may require a knee brace, and/or have weight bearing restrictions. every surgeon has a different rehab protocol. either way, you'll be fine.

most people assume they had their meniscus 'repaired', but the vast, vast majority of the time we remove the damaged portion, and the patient does fine. sure, if its a large tear you might be predisposed to get arthritis a little bit earlier than you would have.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
I've had it done to both knees and had totally different experiences....

First knee the doctor put all kinds of tubing in there and attached it to a drain. Hurt like hell for days after the surgery but once they pulled the tubing (unreal to see how much tubing they stuck in my knee) all the pain went away. I had to wait a while for surgery on that one and the repair was fairly extensive. It was a month or 2 before i could get back into a gym and had any decent mobility in it to excercise it. Once I did I remember struggling with five pounds on the leg curl and having to slowly build it back up.....It took several months but once it was good it was great and has been great ever since (8+ years now)....

:dw:

crazy, that makes no sense at all, unless your knee was infected. nobody in their right mind would do that today for a torn meniscus

scorched

Established Member
yea, i am looking to be out of work around 4 weeks. i am corrections officer. going back to work on a knee i cant perform on will not happen. i am just hoping the knee can be repaired, and i can get back functioning. i got done my academy about two months ago, and i have been unable to run since. need to get back into shape.

i am hoping for a quick turn around time, but knowing the kind of luck i have... ugh. we will see what happens

skyhighsd

Established Member
LOL, you do not want to talk to me about this, I have been out of work for 2.5 years because of this! Simple surgery gone bad, needless to say I have been the guy that if it could happen, it has.............

I know I am not the norm but dont let anyone make you think this is something not to worry about and please make sure you have a very good dr! I have had 2 knee surgeries and about 7 other surgeries/procedures either in my spine or leg for other issues caused by the knee surgeries and then 14 months of rehab Since March of 2008! Way to much info to type here, if you want feel free to pm me.

skyhighsd

Established Member
depends on whether they repair it, or remove it. most meniscus tears cannot be repaired. the meniscus has a very poor blood supply. if its a relatively small tear, or a frayed tear, or a tear not amenable to repair (one that is in the avascular section of the meniscus), then the damaged portion will be removed. your recovery would be minimal--crutches for a couple days, and back to normal activity in a few weeks.

if its a larger tear, and/or a tear that goes into the area of the meniscus with a good blood supply, they will repair it. you have to protect the tear to let it heal---so you will be on crutches for 4-6 weeks, and may require a knee brace, and/or have weight bearing restrictions. every surgeon has a different rehab protocol. either way, you'll be fine.

most people assume they had their meniscus 'repaired', but the vast, vast majority of the time we remove the damaged portion, and the patient does fine. sure, if its a large tear you might be predisposed to get arthritis a little bit earlier than you would have.

Very true, I even had the pleasure of having mine replaced with a cadavers.

Mjavant1985

Figgy (Cam) Newton
Established Member
I had the same procedure done in May 09'. My knee felt pretty good when i awoke from surgery. Up and walking the next day, with a mild limp though. After about 4-5 full days of rest though, felt great, still feels good over a year later, even though i still have the twinge in it sometimes when i move a way it doesn't like.

Users who are viewing this thread