Torch Red Vert Arrives !! Its Here !!

HOPETO

Established Member
My Torch Red Convertible VIN # 1FAFP49Y53F300209 ordered in early February has arrived!!! Just got the call and pick it up at 5 PM today. I'm in the Dallas area. Keep the faith, they will arrive!! Pictures later. I've got to go calm down!! :D

anteros511

Established Member
Originally posted by HOPETO
My Torch Red Convertible VIN # 1FAFP49Y53F300209 ordered in early February has arrived!!! Just got the call and pick it up at 5 PM today. I'm in the Dallas area. Keep the faith, they will arrive!! Pictures later. I've got to go calm down!! :D

Dude what's the difference in your car from mine? I have a silver convertible but your VIN in the middle has 49Y53F where mine is 49Y43F. Was that a typo? Just wondering why that would be. Our VINs are close as well, I'm 444 your 209.

ps. Do you currently own 4 mustangs or is that sig just a chronological order of ownership?

Last edited:

HOPETO

Established Member
Doesn't appear to be a typo looking at the order from the dealership. Haven't actually seen it on the car yet. Maybe someone can help us out on what the #'s mean. Please don't flame me, but yes, I do own all 4 of those cars. Middle aged car guy with a VERY understanding wife (finally got it right the 3rd time)!! :)

anteros511

Established Member
Doesn't appear to be a typo looking at the order from the dealership. Haven't actually seen it on the car yet. Maybe someone can help us out on what the #'s mean. Please don't flame me, but yes, I do own all 4 of those cars. Middle aged car guy with a VERY understanding wife (finally got it right the 3rd time)!! :)

Hmm... yeah we'll have to look into that... As for the stangs, I don't anyone will flame you on that one!! As for the wife's understanding- wholly cow! I'm impressed!! :beer:

lugnut

Established Member
The middle number is a check digit and is calculated by adding a weight value that is assigned to each character in the VIN.

I have a link somewhere that explains each character - I'll try to dig it up.

JB

lugnut

Established Member
VIN check digit

Well, I couldn't find the link so I wrote up an explanation using some info I had at the house. The columns won't line up correctly, but I think you'll get the drift. I know this is getting kinda in the weeds on this, but maybe someone will find it interesteing...

:rollseyes

Check Digit Explanantion:
The following algorithm is used for calculating check digits:
1) Each letter is assigned a numeric value.

character A B C D E F G H I
value 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

character J K L M N O P Q R
value 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

character S T U V W X Y Z
value 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

2) Each number or character value is multiplied by the weight for that position.
VIN position 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
weight 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 10 0 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2

3) The products from each position are summed.

4) The summed total is divided by 11.

5) The check digit is the remainder. If the remainder is >10 then the check digit is X (Roman numeral 10).

'03 Cobra Vin Example:

VIN Characters => 1 F A F P 4 9 Y ? 3 F 3 0 2 2 3 8

Translated to
Values => 1 6 1 6 7 4 9 8 - 3 6 3 0 2 2 3 8

Weight => 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 10 0 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 =============================================
Result => 8 42 6 30 28 12 18 80 0 27 48 21 0 10 8 9 16

Sum of Result => 8 + 42 + 6 + 30 + 28 + 12 + 18 + 80 + 0 + 27 + 48 + 21 + 0 + 10 + 8 + 9 + 16 = 363

Check digit = remainder of the Sum divided by 11 => 363/11 = 0

Complete VIN => 1 F A F P 4 9 Y 0 3 F 3 0 2 2 3 8

Later,
JB

HOPETO

Established Member
What a car!! Love it!! Put about 50 miles on it last night. Extremely tight for a convertible. Very little wind noise top up or down. Check the lower front air dam for damage when you get your car. Like a lot of folks, mine was damaged also. Had a 6 inch scratch on the rear bumper cover that wouldn't buff out. They've ordered a new one. Great experience with Bob Tomes Ford in McKinney (just north of Dallas). Ordered from Fleet Manager Alfred Davidson back in February and was professional from start to finish. Paid sticker $38,995. Who gets that $1000 gas guzzler tax and what do they spend it on?? Dynomax Ultra flow cat back system goes on Sunday.

MackCaddy

Established Member
What a car!! Love it!! Put about 50 miles on it last night. Extremely tight for a convertible. Very little wind noise top up or down. Check the lower front air dam for damage when you get your car. Like a lot of folks, mine was damaged also. Had a 6 inch scratch on the rear bumper cover that wouldn't buff out. They've ordered a new one. Great experience with Bob Tomes Ford in McKinney (just north of Dallas). Ordered from Fleet Manager Alfred Davidson back in February and was professional from start to finish. Paid sticker $38,995. Who gets that $1000 gas guzzler tax and what do they spend it on?? Dynomax Ultra flow cat back system goes on Sunday.
Hey HOPETO, my dad also ordered his black '03 cobra from Bob Tomes Ford in Mckinney, he was told that the first car to come in would be a torch red, so I assume that was you. He still doesn't have a build date or anything for his car. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread