Torch Red Doesn't Exist? O rly??

Sick03Vert

Banned
So I went to the local Ford dealer today to buy some touch up paint for my Cobra. (rock chip :fm:)

They ask me what color, and I said "Torch Red." The parts guy looks at me like I just told him I am from Jupiter and looking for a box of weapons grade plutonium to power my ship back.

Parts "guru": "Torch Red? Torch Red....Toooorrrcchhhh (typing on keyboard) Reeeeeddddd......hmmm....ok....Torch Red you said?"

:bored::burn:

Me: "Uh...yeah man. Torch Red."

Parts "guru":"Do you have your VIN number? Because I don't see Torch Red in the system at all."

Me: "No...not in my car right now and my insurance card for my Tahoe doesn't show the Cobra on it."

Parts "guru" looking at me like I am just "imagining" I own a Cobra: "Weeeelllllll....I've got Redfire, Colorado Red......no Torch Red. Get me a VIN and I'll look it up."

Me: "Really? I was pretty sure that was the name. But ok."

*After a drive home, and then back to the dealer*

Parts "guru": Ok let's see...............YEP! (Look on his face like he correctly guessed the 5 million dollar question) JUST AS I THOUGHT :)rolleyes:) Colorado Red."

Me: "Huh....okay well give me that then."

Parts "guru" smirking: "Ok let me go get it...yeah...had NEVER heard of Torch Red. Colorado Red...absolutely."

:fm::cuss::mj:

So that story told and having dealt with the joy of dealership parts counter know-it-alls, can anyone confirm Torch Red isn't an actual color? I've never heard of Colorado Red, and I told the guy I know now it's Race Red...but I was SURE Torch Red was the name. Of course, I'm probably wrong but still...guy didn't have to be an ass about it. :nonono:

Just thought I'd ask the REAL pros here. :rockon::beer:

cobra_80

MOTORBOATER
Established Member
Was it Tommy Vaughn Ford? They are the only performance Ford dealer in Houston That i know of. If it was and the parts guy had no clue or never came across it, then wow.

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
Torch Red is the GM version of Colorado red. I think they're the same exact color, just people always use the term "torch red" because its wayyyy cooler sounding.

Unfortunately, a lot of parts guys are only as smart as their computer inventory. I don't know how many times I've requested parts at O'Reillys or something and they say "well, what type of car is it?" or "I don't see that part listed as available for your vehicle".

Im just like "I'm telling you exactly what I need, I don't know what else to tell ya.". I'm no parts car, but if I was the guy I would have looked it up online right then and there.

Posted via Topify using Android

Last edited:

11GT50

Reality Checker
Established Member
You were both right. Torch Red was renamed Colorado Red.

Last edited:

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
I ran into the same situation at my local Ford Dealer when I was getting touch up paint for my car. The parts guy looked at me like I had no clue what color I was talking about. They never heard of Torch Red at that place. I ended up getting the Colorado Red for my car as well.

Last edited:

BRNG ITT

Established Member
From the 2003 Ford Mustang brochure:

http://hillerford.com/resource_library/2003/2003brochures/03mustang.pdf

a17ffefffda350ea4e1d14601fb8ff07_zpsf2d533a8.jpg

BlueSnake01

Established Member

Just out of curiosity, put your VIN in here and see what color is on your window sticker.

Use your VIN number to get Ford Window Sticker

Here's a 2010 GT500 window sticker showing Torch Red with the D3 color code from a VIN I found in a posted picture online.

2010 Mustang Color Code D3 for Torch Red Photo #63309779 | GTCarLot.com

44614e97adbf96cfc2ddf5180ae76ad5_zps1f3dc551.jpg
There was a thread almost 10 years ago about this. The actual paperwork/documents say its Colorado Red and NOT Torch Red. The body parts with the sticker also say Colorado Red.
Look at frank5o picture, GT500's also fall in the same category.

Torch Red for marketing purposes
Thats pretty much what I can think of. Seems like it was only done on the SVT cars. The regular Mustangs have Colorado red only even though its the same exact color.

Sick03Vert

Banned
Thanks for the replies everyone! :beer:

I've learned quite a bit from this one. So basically, Torch Red was a much better-sounding name than Colorado Red...which I would definitely agree with. However, it really is called Colorado Red technically and I was incorrect in asking for Torch Red. I figured that was the case, as someone with full access to Ford parts is probably going to know better than me. I admit I was wrong, as I said I probably was anyway, but the guy was an a-hole about it.

For those asking which Ford dealer it was, it was actually Gullo Ford in Conroe, Texas. I work 5 minutes from there so it was closest for me.

Thanks again for all the replies. I had never heard the color Colorado Red before in any Cobra articles I had read, and that is pretty much all the ones you can find. :) :beer:

Last edited:

95gts5oh

wat
Established Member
Well it sounds similar to the Rio Red situation. Ford sold the car as Rio Red and that color everywhere else in the world is called Vermilion Red. Same color, different name. You were both right but yeah he didn't have to be a prick.

Sick03Vert

Banned
2iizyjd.png

03 Mustang all that comes up for red touch up paint.

Thanks for looking that up. :beer:

Haven't seen ADP in a bit...we're on Reynolds at our dealership. Its....meh. :-D

Well it sounds similar to the Rio Red situation. Ford sold the car as Rio Red and that color everywhere else in the world is called Vermilion Red. Same color, different name. You were both right but yeah he didn't have to be a prick.

:beer:

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
Thanks for the replies everyone! :beer:

I've learned quite a bit from this one. So basically, Torch Red was a much better-sounding name than Colorado Red...which I would definitely agree with. However, it really is called Colorado Red technically and I was incorrect in asking for Torch Red. I figured that was the case, as someone with full access to Ford parts is probably going to know better than me. I admit I was wrong, as I said I probably was anyway, but the guy was an a-hole about it.

For those asking which Ford dealer it was, it was actually Gullo Ford in Conroe, Texas. I work 5 minutes from there so it was closest for me.

Thanks again for all the replies. I had never heard the color Colorado Red before in any Cobra articles I had read, and that is pretty much all the ones you can find. :) :beer:

Wellllll, I wouldn't say you were wrong since you both were right. Torch Red indeed sounds like a marketing thing Ford thought would sell better. I learned about Colorado Red the same way you did, although the parts guys I spoke with weren't pricks about it.

I just remembered, I made a thread about it when I was going through the same thing: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/terminator-talk-229/729546-paint-03-torch-red-cobra.html. I was also informed in that thread that Zinc Yellow is also known as Egg Yolk Yellow, ha.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread