Top wont go down anymore!

fast astro

Established Member
Yesterday pulling into the grocery I put the top on the Cobra came out tried to drop the top but didn't go down at all, I notice that when I push the up button I hear the motor working but when I push it down no noise at all. Checked fuses they were good, Can someone help me on were to start trouble shooting? Tried using search button and how to thread but no luck

Black2010

Established Member
Yesterday pulling into the grocery I put the top on the Cobra came out tried to drop the top but didn't go down at all, I notice that when I push the up button I hear the motor working but when I push it down no noise at all. Checked fuses they were good, Can someone help me on were to start trouble shooting? Tried using search button and how to thread but no luck

Maybe a bad switch? The fact that it works in the up motion and not the down makes it sounds more like it's the switch going bad. If you get nothing either direction I would look at the break sensor as well as they wont work without the E-brake on.

Best bet would be to take the back seat out and pull the plug that goes to the motor and test the line with a volt meter to make sure you get the same voltage from the switch going in both directions.

Just throwing suggestions out as I don't know for sure but that is where I would start.

black 10th vert

Established Member
In addition to what the last guy mentioned, you should also check the fluid level when you have the back seat out, because you may have developed a slow leak, and lost enough fluid that it won't operate the pistons anymore.

fast astro

Established Member
Checked the switch, the pistons on each side seem to b working no fluid around them, checked the oil in the motor that was good to. What should I check next? My guess is the lower relay next to the pump/motor? Or is it possible motor went out even though oil is good and no leaked or pinches on the line?

Black2010

Established Member
Checked the switch, the pistons on each side seem to b working no fluid around them, checked the oil in the motor that was good to. What should I check next? My guess is the lower relay next to the pump/motor? Or is it possible motor went out even though oil is good and no leaked or pinches on the line?

Always possible the motor went out. Pull the plug from the motor and see if you get signal to it. If you get power to it then that would lead to a motor problem. If you're not getting power to the motor then it's electical from their forward. You'd have to trace it back from there.

Wish I could be more help but never done this task before but that is where I'd start and look at. Hopefully it's something easy and cheap to fix.

fast astro

Established Member
Checked the relays next to the pump those r good. The only thing left it can b is the motor/pump?????? Or am I missing something else?

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
Checked the relays next to the pump those r good. The only thing left it can b is the motor/pump?????? Or am I missing something else?

motor should be fine if you can hear it grunting when you press the button for up. how did you check the relays? swap em around?

If that didnt change anything, then you need to see which relay is for down, and see if you are getting 12 volts on the wire from the switch. Gy/Lt.Bl.

Check that same relay, should have a gnd. on the vt/wh. wire.

fast astro

Established Member
Checked relays by swapping them around and still would only go up. I think the only thing left now is the motor?????

fast astro

Established Member
Well I bought a brand new motor from ford expecting that would b the problem and Nope it wasn'tit new motor in place and still does the same thing. Also re checked switch, up and lower relays next to the motor, the hydralics for leaks, fuses under the hood and steering columm, lines for any pinches and everything looked good. I downloaded a wiring diagram for the Convertible top circuit and the only thing I c stopping it is a wire that goes to the generic electronic module? Does anyone know if that can b it or how to check it?

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
How did you check the switch? Are you using a multimeter?

330mach1

Established Member
if you have a power probe apply ground directly to the motor and work your way back to the switch. all 3 i've done have been switch.

Users who are viewing this thread