top speed

Andy M

Established Member
I don't think there is an electronic limit, but as Brian mentioned - an aerodynamic drag limit of around 170. We would have to do the math to see what the theoretical speed would be with the stock gears in 6th at redline?? Anyone know??

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by Andy M
I don't think there is an electronic limit, but as Brian mentioned - an aerodynamic drag limit of around 170. We would have to do the math to see what the theoretical speed would be with the stock gears in 6th at redline?? Anyone know??

Andy,
I would be real curious to know if our cars could even pull 6th gear at top speed any faster than 5th. gear. Does that make sense? What I am saying is if we ran the car to redline in 5th. when we shifted to 6th. would it have enough power at that point to gain any speed or would it actually slow down(assuming stock gearing)?

Dave Schotz

SCCA Racer
Established Member
The top speed for the R would be in 5th gear... you cannot pull 6th gear.

I can't believe none of you have done this yet?

Man... I don't own a car more than a couple weeks with out top ending it! ;)

What is your 5th gear Ratio? and Redline at?

Assuming it could pull to redline in 5th... and assuming you have like a .75 5th gear... it should run about 185-190 in 5th at Redline. That is assuming you have a 6800 RPM Redline...

6200 in 5th would be 171.

Again... I don't know your 5th gear Ratio.

Peace,

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by Dave Schotz

Assuming it could pull to redline in 5th... and assuming you have like a .75 5th gear... it should run about 185-190 in 5th at Redline. That is assuming you have a 6800 RPM Redline...

Peace,

Dave,
The problem is finding a safe place to do something like that. I surely wouldn't do it on the street and There is not any kind of closed course to do it on either.

Dave Schotz

SCCA Racer
Established Member
That is too bad... I have a nice 5 mile road out behind my Dad's area... and can do all sorts of fun stuff.

Also... nice Road Trips out to the middle of nowhere are nice too!

I don't want you guys to go out and endanger yourselves.. but pretty amazing that owners of a Cobra R haven't ever top ended them... I have topended every car I own and Phoenix isn't exactly rural! ;)

Your right though... no road course is going to be enough to do a top speed run.

You really only need about 2miles though (just as an FYI :D)

Dave

PS... what are the ratio's for the trans? And what is the Redline?

Thanks!

clarksniper

: I've taken mine to 167 mph. I had to get off the pedal because I had cars in front of me coming up fast (okay, I got scared). There's a stretch of I-275 just south of 1-94 that is brand new blacktop and has about a few miles of straight away. It's empty on Sunday mornings in the summer if anyone is looking for a place to get a few runs in. There isn't anywhere for the cops to hide as the median is all open with no trees.
Anyway, I had the airsplitter on for that run and yes I broke the headlight mounting panel that day. I only got 4 runs in and it broke on the last run when I hit 167. I believe that the car will do 180 with the airsplitter off. I was pulling pretty good up to 167 when I got off, so I don't think it would have stopped at 170. It just felt like it had at least 10 more mph in it.
Max and I ran from the Mi. State Police together one day. We passed a Mi. State Trooper sitting on the side of the road doing about 140, he had the gun pointed right at us. I hit it from there and am guessing we were going around 150-ish to the next offramp about 2 miles away where we conveniently got off.
The thing that amazes me is how stable the car is at speed. They say it's because of the downforce of the wing, I'm not sure. I just know it is locked to the road at 167 and has more in it...

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
Originally posted by Dave Schotz

Peace,

....so you are saying you've done 170-plus???

Where the HELL can you run those speeds???:shocked:

oops, my browser didnt show those last few posts before I posted this :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash:

guess I gotta do a road trip to Arizona :cool: :cool: ;-) ;-) :cool: :cool:

Last edited:

Dave Schotz

SCCA Racer
Established Member
Here are my Top Speeds all done on this road:

'89 Corvette 6spd FX-3 Car 156 MPH
'99 WS6 Formula 1LE 167 MPH
'97 Viper GTS Coupe 202 MPH
'94 Viper RT/10 160 MPH
'00 Audi S4 168 MPH
'00 Corvette Hardtop 174 MPH
'01 Corvette Z-06 171 MPH
'01 Cobra 151 MPH

That is all I can think of in the past couple years...

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread