top speed???

white lightning 01

Established Member
I had the L out last night and there was a long open road and i was able to get it up to 130 then i just ran out of juice and wouldn't do any more! Is this normal? I was on it for a while at 130 and it didn't move up any. What have you guys had your up to? Mine accelerates just fine so i have no idea what thats about. I thought that in the svt book it said like 142????? Just wondering

Don's Bolt

Blown Stang
Established Member
I don't know what my truck would have done before I put a chip in it. After I put the chip in it did 140 with no problem. I didn't try to go any faster but it felt like it still had some more speed left.

Do you have a chip?

xjmd44

Established Member
:confused:
The 2000 L I traded in would top out @ 145 (according to the digital reading) with no mods. This 2001 Sluggning I now own, will reach 132 with a tail-wind. More power for 2001???? Bull crap!!:mad:

Need4Speed

Established Member
I would have your 01 checked. I pulled 355+ rwhp totally stock with 800 miles. I've never seen a 99 or 00 come close to that.

Put it on a dyno and see what it does. I think if you take it to a dealer and tell them it is a slug they probably will just run the standard tests. If its not a wire or plug then they will say everything is fine. If it is a sluggish as you say, you'll surely get a real low number when you spin the drum.

xjmd44

Established Member
Dyno Test....

Guy's,

Thank you for the reply's...I do need to check the power output of this beast. I just topped the L out two day's ago and discovering the truck runs "LESS THAN 140 mph" still lingers.

Maybe I should have broken the driveline in more aggressively, as I've just recently began stretching the O'le Lightnings legs if you know what I mean. One would think @ 6500 miles, most all components are broken in :rolleyes:

Need4Speed - I'll use your 355 hp dyno pull as a benchmark. There is supposedly a dynojet station in a community 70 miles from my home. I'm also going back to the dealer sometime soon, to get the fog lights replaced. The service writer called today, informing me that the light assembly's arrived today....! (Mine cracked all over the place early on)

Later!

Need4Speed

Established Member
I have seen one other 01 at 355. I've heard most are at 345-350. Take into account variables such as temp, bp etc. These things make a significant difference (my experience). I would think you should be broken in by now; I was fairly aggressive with my break-in. I don't subscribe to the old school of babying; metals/alloys have changed alot since we were growing up.

I varied the rpm and did alot of moderate acceleration runs for the first few hundred then I let her rip. Break-in can be debated forever just like chips, oil/changes etc.

When you go to the dyno, get their ahead of time and let your motor cool down. At least 2-3 hours; overnite is best. I have been told that 140 water temp is a good standard.

Good luck.

Triton

Established Member
top speed

My 2000 L Will go slightly over 140! Stock, 3300 miles or so, It just keeps pulling until 140 then thats it, even though tach is at 4600 4700 rpm,,,:cool:

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Just curious...were you running the air? In my contour I was able to do 155 (indicated) with the air off. When I turned it on, it would do around 125-130 (indicated.)

Users who are viewing this thread