Top speed?

key2you

Established Member
I happen to be on a local highway in my area when a newer (probably 2002) lightning wanted to play. He blew by me and we could not have that. I dropped it down to 3 gear and let it loose. I caught him (in very short order) and continued to excelerate. I was in 5 gear at 150mph. I figured what the hell let me hit the governer. Looked back down and I was creeping over 160mph with a little room before the red line. I thought these cars had a governer that kicked in at 155mph. Has anyone else had this happen to them? The roads were clear and it was the perfect time to try this but I don't see me getting or doing this again any time soon.

FINICKY

Established Member
maybe the speedo is off a little at that high of a speed....someone will have to just go balls out and see where the limiter actually is.

Evilcartman

Established Member
Limiter

Originally posted by FINICKY
maybe the speedo is off a little at that high of a speed....someone will have to just go balls out and see where the limiter actually is.

I raced a 456M Ferrari and I hit the Gov'. It is at 160 mph. My other friend that has an '03 says his is at 160 also. The PCM gets the same signal from the VSS that the Speedo does. It can't be off. Speedo's are not cable driven on these cars anymore. Plus, I noticed that it is right at 160, not plus or minus a little. The VSS could be off, but the Gov' would be off also.

FINICKY

Established Member
Thanks for the info... how did it feel at 160....did it really feel like it was ready to leave the ground like svt says

Hammer

Established Member
Originally posted by FINICKY

Hey Ray. This is funny. I hit the electronic limiter just the other day while driving home from Bowling Green with JT. There were some street bikes screwing with us. JT locked ass with them first and them backed off. I told myself, "leave it be!!" but one thing led to another.

It was open highway and, with my gears, I pulled on the bikes up top...HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!! We are climbing and climbing and, next thing I know, it's like I bounce off of the rev limiter while in sixth. Holy sh1t, I bounced off of the 160 limiter!!!

Felt like NOTHING! Just speed and totally stable car under me. And I even had my sway bar out and low air pressure in the tires.

cobrablue

Established Member
had mine up to 140 in a breeze. the front started to feel a little squirily to me. i guess im used to the vettes handling which felt more stable at higher speeds.:p

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
I had mine up to 140 also. It was last sat, the car does not feel like its going to float away at all! I was with 5 other and we all took off down an empty bridge. I thought I was doing 110-120 and I look down and the speedo was a tad past 140. I am very happy with the car so far, I had no idea I was doing 140. Now I just have to mod the car more because one of the guys I was with got up to 175.

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by KevinJKD
I had mine up to 140 also. Now I just have to mod the car more because one of the guys I was with got up to 175.
:eek: :eek:

Evilcartman

Established Member
Originally posted by Hammer
Hey Ray. This is funny. I hit the electronic limiter just the other day while driving home from Bowling Green with JT. There were some street bikes screwing with us. JT locked ass with them first and them backed off. I told myself, "leave it be!!" but one thing led to another.

It was open highway and, with my gears, I pulled on the bikes up top...HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!! We are climbing and climbing and, next thing I know, it's like I bounce off of the rev limiter while in sixth. Holy sh1t, I bounced off of the 160 limiter!!!

Felt like NOTHING! Just speed and totally stable car under me. And I even had my sway bar out and low air pressure in the tires.

That is cool that you beat a bike on the top end. Why did you shift into 6th though. The car tops out in 5th. You could have pulled even harder to the limiter.

dmreitz

Established Member
Lansing, IL (Chi. Suburb on Indiana border)
Digital Speedometer

I'm sure some of you know how to pull up the diagnostic mode on your odometer... it let's you test the guages, and gives certain info on your system while it's running. Someone on the board here mentioned the digital tac that you can pull up - but you can also pull up a digital speedometer...

To enable the diagnostic mode:

1) turn off your car.
2) hold the trip odometer button in
3) start the car
4) keep the trip odometer button in for 5 seconds or so
5) when you let it go, it will be in a "test" mode... the first one will say "gage" and peg your guages.

To get the digital speedometer:

1) complete steps above.
2) push trip odometer button to go through the different test displays.
3) when you reach a display that begins with "Eng", you have reached the digital speedometer (in MPH). Now, when you drive, you will see your current speed in MPH.

This is more precise than your normal speedometer... might be more accurate as well... if the numbers and lines printed on your guage are a little off, then the needle might be correct, but it won't be pointing to the correct numbers (for instance, what if I tore open my dash, and covered the speedometer with one from a GT - the needle wouldn't be "wrong", but the place it is pointing to isn't correct)... the digital reading won't have that problem.

Also, to get the digital tac, just find the menu that says "tac"... now you'll see your rpms in detail.

So, bottom line, if someone is going to try to go 160 or so, maybe you can engage the digital speedo, and check the speed that way... should give you a better reading of exactly how fast you are going...

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
I tried all that with my tripmeter, but it didn't work on my '03. The last time I read about it a '99 or '01 was referenced.

Has anyone else got this "trick" to work on their '03?

dmreitz

Established Member
Lansing, IL (Chi. Suburb on Indiana border)
I've done it a number of times on my 03. Trick is you have to make sure you hold it down long enough... and the ignition has to be completely off when you press the button - then once the car is started, you start counting seconds...

So, press the button when the car is off, then start the car (or at least turn the ignition to the "on" position), and KEEP the button pressed for a FULL 5 -7 seconds... let it go and it will be in the diagnostic mode. If you let it go too soon, it won't work.

It worked on my 01 GT as well.

Last edited:

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by JoeAsheville
I tried all that with my tripmeter, but it didn't work on my '03. The last time I read about it a '99 or '01 was referenced.

Has anyone else got this "trick" to work on their '03?
I've tried it on my car. Just hold it down long enough and you'll see your gauges start to sweep.

Cobra'03

Established Member
This was discussed in a previous thread. I found Ford documentation that indicates they dial in error in trhe speedo in the normal highway cruising range, and 3.75% error on the plus side overall. So take the 155 mph governor, add in that factor, and you get 161 MPH indicated.

So until I see a calibrated 5th wheel reading, I say 155 mph is the mfr stated, and observed, top speed.

Also, the VSS is not foolproof - it is sensitive to mechanical error, the effects of tire pressure and tire dimensionality, etc.

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
OK, I got it to work. The way it worked for me was to have the key out of the ignition while I held the trip button down. Works great, now I know how to check my Mph and Tach info...thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread