Top goes down but not up

cobradebruhl

Established Member
My convertible top just stopped working on me. It will go down by itself but I have to manually lift it. Do I need to replace the pump or is theis something else yall have run into. If I need to replace it where is the best place to look?

rus

Established Member
Friend of mine had same issue and they had a leaking hydraulic cylinder. I would check the fluid level in the pump that is behind the rear seat. It sits in the middle area and it has a black rubber plug on the right side of the pump as you look at it from the front. Pull plug and fill with Dextron tranny fluid using a syringe. I got an irrigation syringe from a vet as larger opening on end and only took two complete fills to fill the pump.

CobRoush-00

Established Member
Friend of mine had same issue and they had a leaking hydraulic cylinder. I would check the fluid level in the pump that is behind the rear seat. It sits in the middle area and it has a black rubber plug on the right side of the pump as you look at it from the front. Pull plug and fill with Dextron tranny fluid using a syringe. I got an irrigation syringe from a vet as larger opening on end and only took two complete fills to fill the pump.

Good advice! You may also check for cylinder leak before filling up the pump (if needed). Remove the back bench seat and check the corners for wetness right under the side panels where the cylinders are. There's a possibility that you may have to replace the cylinders. I just got mine done. As to where you can have it done: any upholstery shop that works on convertibles. If you know how to work on your car, it's an easy thing to do.

cobradebruhl

Established Member
I pulled the pump out and it was bone dry. After I filled it up everything started working fine. Only thing that scares me now is where did the fluid go?

rus

Established Member
On one I replaced, the passenger cylinder leaked at the bottom. It was a slow leak. I changed out cylinder and it works excellent now.

Rus

Users who are viewing this thread