Top Gear: Toyota Truck

RookieBeotch

Post Whore!!
Established Member
have any of you guys seen the top gear episode, where they try to wreck some red toyota truck, they put it in the ocean, hit it with a wrecking ball, start it on fire, and a bunch of other crazy shiat, and it still ran. Does anyone know what model or year or whatever that truck was, i don't recall if they said or not.

xilix

Too Stock
Established Member
My buddy had an 87 2.2L Toyota pickup truck. Can't remember the model but that thing took more punishment than any car I've ever seen. Ever. We beat the living piss out of it, jumped it (HIGH!), ran it through rivers, towed things that were way too heavy, hardly ever changed the oil.. that thing was such a champ. The radiator went and we just said f-ck it and kept driving it. Never overheated once. It still runs today and I see it from time to time, only now it has a wooden bed instead of the rusted one.

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
It's an '85 Toyota Hilux (Tacoma in the US) with a diesel. Did you see the second episode? They put it on a 23 story building, then DEMOLISHED THE BUILDING!! It survived.

CleanCobra

The Anti-Bling
Established Member
I was thinkin about an old tacoma for a daily driver/ beater to keep lower miles on the snake. Someday.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
xilix said:
My buddy had an 87 2.2L Toyota pickup truck. Can't remember the model but that thing took more punishment than any car I've ever seen. Ever. We beat the living piss out of it, jumped it (HIGH!), ran it through rivers, towed things that were way too heavy, hardly ever changed the oil.. that thing was such a champ. The radiator went and we just said f-ck it and kept driving it. Never overheated once. It still runs today and I see it from time to time, only now it has a wooden bed instead of the rusted one.

Wow. I owned an 87 with a 22RE FI and it was a complete dog. Apparently, the timing chain was an 80K maintenance item. I paid $1100 to have the heads replaced along with the chain.

It was a good looking truck but sucked as far as offroad ability, especially since it had the special lift package and skid plates. The 4WD was a complete waste.

I have heard others get great mileage out of theirs, but they were all 5 speeds.

Duende

Thomas @ AppOSL.com
Established Member
Too bad they didn't try shooting it with a .50cal or MK-19. That'll stop it with a quickness. :-D

WyoTechMSA

Rampage Skeet Hen
Established Member
A kid I went to school with had an old lifted Yota with the 2.2L. Damn what a pile but also, Ill be damned if it ever got put out of comission by anything other than ending up on its roof. This thing ran in 0 degree weather for months on 2 cylinders.

SVTHorsnake

Banned
I think they should've put it on rollers in 5th gear with it floored with an extra fuel cell and seen how long it would've gone for after they did all that shit to it.

Users who are viewing this thread