Top Gear now on BBC America

BigDaveDogg

Keepin' it real.
Established Member
Well I tried to search to see if I'm reposting, but the search is being a bitch. Anyway, Top Gear is now airing season 8 episodes on BBC America (pretty sure every satellite and digital cable subscriber gets it, not sure on basic cable, etc.) Last week was the 1st episode they aired to see if Top Gear had a market in the US. You may remember it on Discovery...but it was cancelled, and they never brought it back despite rumors. I'm sure everyone has seen clips online. I downloaded every episode from finalgear.com. I find it good car entertainment, despite their joking views on the US and its "fat" citizens. I can take a joke...and I think everyone makes fun of Brits for their dental hygiene. Anyway, the show is on tonight (and I believe every Monday) so check it out. Hopefully they start airing new seasons...the 10th season airs in the UK this October. Here is the news I read from finalgear.com:

BBC America To Air Season 8 Of Top Gear!

Posted August 9th, 2007 at 12:37 GMT by Viper007Bond in Top Gear
Currently, the only way to view Top Gear over on this side of the pond is via BBC World which airs “special” 30 minute versions of the show (chopped up, no guest driver, no news, little or no studio bits, etc.).

Well, starting August 20th at 8PM ET, season 8 of Top Gear will begin airing on BBC America in what will probably be full format shows. Based on the schedule listed at the official site, each episode will air for an hour each and feature the star in a reasonably priced car.

Regardless of whether it will be a chopped up version or not though, this only further the exposure of Top Gear here in the States which definitely isn’t a bad thing. Let’s hope this all leads to us getting a Top Gear of our own…

More on our forums.

UPDATE: I’m told that BBC America does infact have commercials, so my guess is they’ll be cutting out the news segment of the show and perhaps a little more. Not the ideal solution, but some Top Gear is better than none, right?

BigDaveDogg

Keepin' it real.
Established Member
EnglishAdam said:
Sits and waits for the Brit haters :beer:

Lol, the hosts' jokes make me laugh...but they seem to offend many. The show is still great either way...can't argue with the #1 watched automotive show in the world. It's the #1 watched show period overseas isn't it?

aaandht

Established Member
They are still pissed about the revolutionary war. The American jokes get old...fast. Not to mention how many things do they show inaccurately? Dyno of the GT500?

BigDaveDogg

Keepin' it real.
Established Member
aaandht said:
They are still pissed about the revolutionary war. The American jokes get old...fast. Not to mention how many things do they show inaccurately? Dyno of the GT500?
You mean like the one about Clarkson would buy the Roush Mustang over the M3 if he were sexually interested in his sister? hahaha cmon, get a sense of humor...you probably laugh at stand up comedians making jokes about other nationalities...I know I do.

s_x_i

Established Member
Man, I saw The Stig wreck that Konnessig (sp) I don't know who that guy is, but he told them that there wasn't enough down force, so Konnessig took the car back and are fitting rear wings.

He must be a damn good driver to tell a car company that and have them jump on it.

Top Gear FTW!

BigDaveDogg

Keepin' it real.
Established Member
s_x_i said:
Man, I saw The Stig wreck that Konnessig (sp) I don't know who that guy is, but he told them that there wasn't enough down force, so Konnessig took the car back and are fitting rear wings.

He must be a damn good driver to tell a car company that and have them jump on it.

Top Gear FTW!
Definitely quite a bit of influence. It's currently on for anyone who hasn't seen the thread...

kfrg

Banned
Eh, Top Gear is merely entertainment, I tend not to take it too seriously. And yes, their anti-American mantra does get old.

kfrg

Banned
Everything basically. Their jokes are evident from the general disdain of this country which runs throughout Eurabia. They are just catering to their audience.
The actual "reviewing" of cars is a joke as well. Blatantly biased, besides the fact Clarkson seems to be just a TV personality reading cue cards and has not turned a wrench in his life. Remember that episode where he thought the GT500 had the 3V 4.6? Im pretty sure that was the screw up.

BigDaveDogg

Keepin' it real.
Established Member
They are biased, but there is information to be gained and exposure of cars you don't see every day. You have to admit their camera work and editing during the car reviews is rather good.

s_x_i

Established Member
Yup - I have to agree with the above comments, I wanted to Kick Hammond's ass for the GT 500 comments, HOWEVER... they are still a bunch of funny guys who like cars. The show is very tongue in cheek and if you remember that, it can be highly enjoyable :)

BigDaveDogg

Keepin' it real.
Established Member
mineralgrey01gt said:
its a good show but he has flamed some cars that didnt deserve it IMO.
Yeah I don't agree with everything they say, but whattaya gonna do. Still a great show, and I agree with the above about it being the best.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread