Top down = paranoid

phxsvt

Established Member
Ok so the weather was perfect here in the coastal bend so the wife and I took the cobra out top down style cruising, running errands this weekend. There was a couple of places I had to rush into and back out because I didnt want to leave the top down outside. I have the factory keyless, but thats it.

What do all you verts out there use. I like the proximity switch alarms but they are way sensative so its kinda like it would be going off all the time....blah

black 10th vert

Established Member
To me, it depends on the area. I usually will park where I can keep an eye on it, if not... the top goes up.

Same here. I will often leave the top down if I am just running into a store to pick something up, but if I am at all worried about the location, then the top goes up, or at the very least, the windows are all the way up. In reality, a vert top is not much of a deterrent anyway, so if you are really paranoid about it, then a prox. alarm is the only way to go inmo.

3Laser3

Established Member
I've never owned a vert and just bought one, but I don't think I'd ever leave the top down when I'm not in or around the vehicle because I'm too paranoid. I'm going to be doing some research on an alarm system for sure.

TK Doom

Established Member
Depends on the area.

If i'm going into a Barnes and Noble, and its a ultra pretty day. I'll leave the top down, with windows up.

If I'm going into somewhere where I'll be awhile, the top goes up.

divided

Established Member
Hardly ever left the top down. Only if I could see the car from where im at. Actually in the 2 1/2 years I owned the car ive problably dropped the top less than 20 times total.

D-Rock

I got my swim trunks...
Established Member
Hardly ever left the top down. Only if I could see the car from where im at. Actually in the 2 1/2 years I owned the car ive problably dropped the top less than 20 times total.

I've probably dropped the top 20 times in the last week:rockon:

My rule is simple - only leave it down if it stays within eyesight...and even then, I need to be able to make it back to the car in 20 seconds or less to beat the living tar out of anyone who messes with it:bash:...otherwise, top goes up...it's only 20 seconds:shrug:

phxsvt

Established Member
I agree too, but I also have a 1 piece tonneau which isnt easy to take on and off (storage = none). The car is locked up in the garage top down most its life....

So no one has any alarm systems or deterents to reccommend?
I see the alarms now tell you on your phone if it is being messed with and where on the car it is being messed with. You can even set remote start with acc. on your phone.....where is this world going!:shrug:

CscottsSS

got boost?
Established Member
I keep mine down unless I'm in someplace for a long time (half hour of more), only thing they are able to steal is an aftermarket head unit.

Hawwk11

Established Member
Ok so the weather was perfect here in the coastal bend so the wife and I took the cobra out top down style cruising, running errands this weekend. There was a couple of places I had to rush into and back out because I didnt want to leave the top down outside. I have the factory keyless, but thats it.

What do all you verts out there use. I like the proximity switch alarms but they are way sensative so its kinda like it would be going off all the time....blah
When i had my vert it didnt matter how long i was gonna be in a store etc, i would leave it down in the driveway sometimes but thats it not in a public lot. I've never understood how people could leave their tops down in the world we live in. There are plenty of jealous haters out there. Whenever i would walk by a vert with the top down i always think to myself someone could easily throw a lit cigarette, soda, milkshake etc in there and keep on walking like nothing happened and when the owner gets back theres nothing they could do about it but suck it up. Just my $0.02

CUtiger07

Random Poster
Established Member
You should move to the south where people dont mess with your shit! lol. I have an 03 Vert and i leave my top down all the time, often parked in a garage for hours on end. Ive never had an issue except once with a Jeep, top and doors off, I left my CD case on the back seat and someone took it, but thats what I get for leaving it on the seat.

Fastphil

Bagged.
Established Member
Here's a helpful answer: It depends. If I'm going into a mall, I'll put it up. If I'm going grocery shopping, I'll leave it down. Troublemakers are more likely to be at the mall than at the grocery store. The only thing I do when I leave the top down is lock the glovebox. If I have my CD case with me, I'll throw it in the trunk if I'm gone more than a few minutes, otherwise I'll toss it down in the rear seat footwell.

Users who are viewing this thread