Took my Kenne Bell Cobra to Tail of Dragon this weekend

Moody03SVT

Hear2Learn@Teach
Established Member
Many thanks to Fastlane crew in Benson, NC

Friends and I planned a trip to the Tail of The Dragon for this past weekend. Videos Here. I wanted to take my Cobra, of which Fastlane installed and tuned the Kenne Bell 2.8H and meth kit last September 2009.

I had some last minute things to check on with the car but all in all I did not do too much. The usual check tire pressure, alignment, made sure had enough Boost Juice for the long drive. I had some engine issues but it was just a fuel rail pressure sensor that went bad and once that was fixed all was good in the neighborhood.

Three of us were going so we all made a checklist of tools, supplies, and cameras to take. I had my GoProHD and a digital camera and the other guys had digital cameras and a flip video camera. We were set to go as we ALSO had Motorola TalkAbouts, a DEF must have.

Now I am back from TN and the Tail of The Dragon and I came in here to tell my story and to say Thank You Fastlane!! I was so happy after this weekend, made me fall in love with my Mustang again.

1. Car drove amazingly smooth, no issues, even for the 5 hour long drive both there and back
2. Averaged 19.5 mpg on highway with A/C on with my Kenne Bell 2.8h and Meth (650rwhp)!!!!
3. NO drivability issues at all, pulled through corners strong, and then turned A/C on back to hotel
4. Tail of The Dragon curves are no joke, even though you are traveling around 35mph through corners it is very white knuckle, especially when you can not see the next corner coming up and who else is coming your way.
I knew I would be sacrificing some drivability with going with this power but the tune was perfect. Check out Youtube Videos here taken with my GoProHD: Moodyj YouTube Channel

Side note:
A. Even the roll cage was not annoying after 5 hours, I was very comfortable
B. All 3 of us would STRONGLY recommend you take some TalkAbouts with you. So much better than calling friends on cell phonesand definitely made the trip 3x more fun.

Last edited:

Moody03SVT

Hear2Learn@Teach
Established Member
Me and a friend installed this cage. Neither of us were experts at this but he definitely took the lead. I love how it came out, simple, clean, and the fitment was great. Maximum Motorsport cage with swing out bars with solid cross brace and diagonal brace.

Not sure what else you wanted to see but here it is :) :banana:

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
that is soo awesome. i want to do a cross country road trip in my car and hit all those famous road just once esp with the irs before i do my solid swap just to get my money out of that thing lol.

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
looks awesome man, glad you had a good trip.

Me and a few buddies here take talkabouts when we go through the canyons around here just so we can have i look out a few corners up, its nice to know that its clear so you can take it alittle harder than you would if you didnt know if anyone is coming

Moody03SVT

Hear2Learn@Teach
Established Member
that is soo awesome. i want to do a cross country road trip in my car and hit all those famous road just once esp with the irs before i do my solid swap just to get my money out of that thing lol.

Definitely do it if you can! AND definitely find some good friends to go with. I did not realize how much my IRS made that trip through the twisty's so much better, I really felt planted even while giving it gas around the corner. If I had a solid I would have been very annoyed unless I had limited slip.

Moody03SVT

Hear2Learn@Teach
Established Member
Me and a few buddies here take talkabouts when we go through the canyons around here just so we can have i look out a few corners up, its nice to know that its clear so you can take it alittle harder than you would if you didnt know if anyone is coming

Yea they saved our asses about twice. It was like having 6 eyes looking for cops vs just 2. And they were a blast for sh*t talking the whole way up, like riding in the same car. :beer:

Moody03SVT

Hear2Learn@Teach
Established Member
I have heard about doing an Ethanol conversion for these cars. There is a guy locally in Raleigh that was planning on doing it. I am not so convinced yet, I will wait to see how those kits pan out. For now I am plenty happy with my safe 93 tune and 20psi KB.

But I am keeping an eye out!

05slvrgt

Real bits of panther.
Established Member
.......? You mean methonal? Ethonal isnt the same things as methonal/alcohol. Unless you mean in the gas tank and not the meth kit.

Methanol and Ethanol are both alcohols, however they are slightly different. And what you said is true, ethanol is designed to be used in the gas tank, not in the meth kit for cooling.

Moody03SVT

Hear2Learn@Teach
Established Member
30 minutes from my house...20 on my bike:D

Seriously I would probably go up there at least once a month if I lived that close.

Although I would believe that the corners may get a bit boring if you could not time yourself and try to improve upon, which won't work as the cops would keep you going same speed; and with all the tourists it might get old.

But I could only imagine what that place is like at night. They must close it off.

bkaul

Established Member
But I could only imagine what that place is like at night. They must close it off.
Nope, it's a public highway. They don't close it based on time of day.

The TN approach to it is closed through July due to a rock slide, though.
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBmE92n5mEI&feature=related"]YouTube- Man drives into a rockslide[/nomedia]

Moody03SVT

Hear2Learn@Teach
Established Member
haha wow - how ironic is that. The police and reporters were there for safety reasons and they are the ones that distracted the driver from looking ahead at the HUGE BOULDERS!!

thats funny

svtmadman

Established Member
Seriously I would probably go up there at least once a month if I lived that close.

Although I would believe that the corners may get a bit boring if you could not time yourself and try to improve upon, which won't work as the cops would keep you going same speed; and with all the tourists it might get old.

Once a month?? LOL i used to go every sunday...i took off a week and rode daily, did 900 miles and went through one set of race take offs!:rolling:

Users who are viewing this thread