Took her into service today...

Mystic 544

Established Member
Clutch seems to be getting worse ans I have gotton tired of waiting for the "newpart" fairy, not to mention the other issues that need attention. Here is the letter I gave the service manager:

My 03 SVT Focus is having some of the "common issues" I have been reading about. She is a 2003 build date 5/28/03 with about 10,5000 miles. Still under the 12/12 and I also have the Ford Premium Warranty. Would like an accredited/certified SVT service man with SVT Focus experience to take a look at her.

Goofy idle at cold start-up? Also sputters a lot for the 1st couple of miles after the start-up. * TSB # 03-19-11 YRFO - new ecu calibration update

Under regular driving (without the air/heat on) she can't seem to keep a constant speed. Example: hit 40 in 4th and try to keep her at that point, she will surge up and down.

Excessive brake dust!!!!
Brakes also make noise/squeaking and under moderate to harder situations and they grind. The rotors are grooved pretty bad, front are not as bad but the rear are pretty hacked up. Since I am within 12 months and 12,000 miles the pads and rotors should definitely be repaired/replaced under warranty. I believe there is a service advisory out about the brake dust issue and new pads available for that issue.

There is a bunch of grease on the passenger side half shaft and above that area? Not sure what would allow the grease to leak…bad CV joint? Bad seal on the axel?

Both windows screech when being raised. Very nasty noise, not sure if it is from bad molding or if the windows are just out of alignment? Also, on the rear corner of the driver’s side window molding - there is a large piece chunked out. Creates a lot of wind noise and I would guess lets in a lot of outside water. It should be replaced.

Wheel alignment doesn’t look right. The front and rear both tip inwards, but the rear seems to be worse. Also the rear sits higher then the front? (Or I guess it could be said, the front sits lower than the rear)

At idle, a lot of grinding with a bunch of squeaking noise from the clutch. I can hear it in the car and if I put some pressure on the clutch pedal I can feel vibrations and rubbing.
*TSB #04-8-1 Noise-Transaxle- noise at idle with clutch pedal released.

While slowing down, if I have it in gear and leave my foot lightly on the clutch pedal, I can feel it moving. The pedal goes in and out and makes a bit of noise...even worse under braking? Feels like a warped flywheel.

Also, a lot of “play” in the clutch pedal. It is very loose, there’s probably a good inch before you actually feel pressure through the pedal.

Trans issues….it works but just isn’t right! Having a hard time down shifting after driving for a while and things are hot/warmed up. Also not easy getting into 2nd and 3rd after driving in stop and go traffic for a while. Reverse is always an adventure??? Could the shift fork be bent or out of alignment?

Engine compartment: The heat shield on the underside of the hood is very water damaged. Why/how is water getting under the hood? The hood appears to not be lined up when down. The liner should be replaced and the reasoning needs to be looked at.

There are a bunch of out of place noises coming from the engine area. At idle with the hood up the clutch squeaking and grinding is much louder. Also, some noise from the pulley area? This one scares me...if it were an old 5.0 I would think it is lifter noise, but this is a 2.0 DOHC. There is a tapping noise towards the top of the engine cover?
Could be fuel injection noises, but it is pretty loud and should be checked out.

Also, there are some missing parts from my car that sales was supposed to have for me. Please check with the sales manager or Tony for these items: The Owners Manual, Service book and SVT supplemental book, the top battery box piece, cigarette lighter, clamp that holds the intake tube on the throttle body, a screw that hold down the air filter box, and one of my keyless entry remotes is not programmed :(

That is just a sample of the issues I am currently having with the car. Please feel free to go over her top to bottom and attend to any other issues. I would like to hear what is being done to my car and how long the service will take.

Nice list!
Service manager went over it with a big frown on his face...could be interesting...Oh, you should see the $hit box rental Echo I got. YUCK -- fix my Focus fast!!!

FreeFlowSVT

Lover Of Burned Rubber
Established Member
I am taking mine in this week. I t has been having a list of problems just like your. Maybe not as long but close and it's almost all the same stuff.

Everything from my drivers side rear and passenger side front windows making a nasty noise when going up or down. Also for a bit the drivers side would get stuck on auto down when i hit the buttuon and i'd have to give it a little bit till i go get it back up again.

My car also surges way too much and it not smooth at all when trying to go one set speed. Gets so bad with the AC on that i can't really run it.

When starting every morning after the car has sit for the night it takes almost 8-10 turn overs to fire and almost can't keep it's self running for a min or so till it picks up and idles right.

The brakes will also grind really bad every moring after a little bit of moisture the night before. It's not just a tiny bit for a sec but last for a long time and then goes away. The rotors are grooved really bad on two of them.

Also my drivers side rear door sits a tiny bit in too much and it's not even with the body and this is causing a votex around there that carries rocks to there. Have 7 (even counted them) nice chips of paint gone right behind the door lower down on the body. No where else on the car is there one paint chip.

I hope to get alot of this figure out and fixed because i'm not in the mood to drive a car that gets annoying after a little bit.

Last edited:

Mystic 544

Established Member
Called the service manager today for an update:
His words, "as for the clutch...Bad things are going on there!" :(
I hope I get the opportunity to see what he is talking about! They had some of it in stock, but had to order the flywheel. Said they weren't sure on the trans. but wanted to wait until the new clutch was in to re-evaluate it.
The CV joint was leaking and they had to order a whole new axel.
YRFO computer upgrade was done
New under hood liner is on order
They are turning the rotors...will be interesting if that actually solves the problem.
He told me the SVT's were spec with wheel camber...I wounder if they actually put it on the alignment machine, will have to ask?
They are looking into the window screaching and he said they will listen to the engine area again after the new clutch is in. I get the feeling the clutch was way F-ed up!
All of my "missing parts" are on order...will be interesting to see how long that takes.
Was told that if the parts are in on Thurs. she should be ready for pick-up on Friday. I'll update when I hear more or get to drive her again...I miss my little go kart! And I should have the o/r pipe and an AEM cold air from the UPS man on Thurs.
Tim

Focus04

POWER HUNGRY
Established Member
Just bought an 04 on Friday, and noticed slight surging, especially around 40mph in fourth gear, and my front rotors have grooves in them. Let me know if the computer flash the dealership performed illiminates the surging. I'll probably make an appointment this week to have mine checked out.

HAMMRHEAD

Established Member
Originally posted by Focus04
Just bought an 04 on Friday, and noticed slight surging, especially around 40mph in fourth gear, and my front rotors have grooves in them. Let me know if the computer flash the dealership performed illiminates the surging. I'll probably make an appointment this week to have mine checked out.

A bit off-topic - Sorry, but do ya mind me asking how much you paid? I assume it's new? TIA:beer:

Focus04

POWER HUNGRY
Established Member
Hammerhead: Don't mind at all. My car literally has every option available, and stickered at $21,480.00. My X-plan price was $20,003.00, and the car had a $2,500.00 rebate, which comes off of the X-plan price, plus, I get a free Dell computer. I thought it was a pretty good deal. So far, this little car is really impressing me.

Lupuri

Smack that ass bitch!
Established Member
Focus04, the reflash will help with the Surging.

Guys...I got a horror story involving my Focus, Ill put this shit up later, after Im done crying about it.

bananabuggy

Established Member
I think an 04 is supposed to have the latest ECU load already.

I'd like someone to confirm it however.

Last edited:

FreeFlowSVT

Lover Of Burned Rubber
Established Member
Originally posted by bananabuggy
I think an 04 is supposed to have the latest ECU load already.

I'd like someone to confirm it however.

Yes the '04 have the newest flash and are not in need of it.

Focus04

POWER HUNGRY
Established Member
ruh roh relroy. if my car already has the latest software, then something is wrong. it definately bucks and chugs at 40 mph in fourth gear, and sometimes surges when under light acceleration. It's going to the dealer tomorrow to be checked out.
I'll keep you posted.

Tydlwavs

Parts God
Established Member
Timmay, what did they say about the pulse in the clutch pedal? I sent you an e-mail since mine is going back again for some stupid crap.

Do you guys know how long they work on the full car. I have 20K on the car and I wanna have the brakes looked at, the rattle near the third cat(on it's second unit already), and a couple other things like the windows and pulsing at 40mph. I don't wanna hear any of that, "You have 20k on the car and the rotors will show wear crap".

Last edited:

Mystic 544

Established Member
Todd -- never got an email from you?
"as for the clutch...Bad things are going on there!" I didn't get to see it, but was told it was pretty F-ed up! The whole pulse and loose clutch pedal was because the flywheel was a mess and the last tec that worked on her had the clutch cable twisted and wraped around the wrong way:rollseyes It's a lot better now - I'm going to start a new thread on what they did for this trip to service and how much it cost $....
"You have 20k on the car and the rotors will show wear crap." Sorry, but that is what they are going to say about the brake stuff. If you have a good relationship with the service guy, he might see if there is anything they can do (turn the rotors maybe). If anything needs to be replaced--it's a wear item and you are past the 12/12. The other issues sound like they should fall under the 3/36.

Mystic 544

Established Member
Got her back from service the other day.
I haven’t had a lot of time/miles, but seems to drive like a different car! And she should!!!! The clutch/flywheel doesn’t make any noise now and is a lot smoother! Clutch is still a little soft, but it is still breaking in. Getting into gears and down-shifting is a lot better. There is just minor “goofy idle” at start up now and I almost don’t feel any surging while driving! Brakes are much smoother with almost no squeaking, but still produce a TON of brake dust L Windows up/down are quiet again!

Parts $910
Labor $1038
Misc. $140
Total $2088 Factory Warranty carges

PCM Recalibrate #2U7M-16A650-FYA (was told that was the newest ECU Flash)
Transmission Flywheel Assembly replacement:
FMC 2M5Z 6375 AA Split Mass Flywheel
FMC 2M5Z 7563 AA PLT & CVR ASY-CL Pre
SPO 2M5Z 7550 AA DSC ASY-CL
SPO W706117 S309 Bolt M10X56 Pan Int (4)
FMC W520203 S Nut M10 Hex FLNG
SPO 2M5Z 7E395 AE Trans Shift Cable
Replace RT Axel Shaft (Bootleak)
FMC 2M5Z 3B436 AA Shaft & Joint ASY
Hood Insulation is Distorted, replace.
SPO YS4Z 16738 CA Hood Insul PNL
FMC NPNLoaner Loaner/Rental 5 days
Disc Brake Rotor Front & Rear - Machine on Vehicle
Windows Screech – glass out of adjustment

Users who are viewing this thread